Truth

"Very fucking funny." Her face matched her voice, deadpan.

"What is it?" I asked, concerned.

"Meet the trio. This combination literally means someone will die soon." Her hand waved over the three, and she leaned back.

"Someone has a dry sense of humour," Morgan said dryly, not humouring the three cards. She placed them back into the pack and began shuffling again.

A knock at the front door interrupted us. Reaching out, it wasn't Leo, and I couldn't sense anyone there. What?

"Oh shit." Morgan jumped up to grab the door.

I slyly followed, standing just shy of the threshold. I heard a familiar voice.

"Morgan, hello!"

"Maddie! I am so sorry. I forgot to call you to cancel."

_____

I sighed, leaning against the propped-up door. This was the last thing I needed.

"Oh? Cancel?" I heard her heels click on the floor and the door close.

"Yeah... My son is here to visit."

"Oh, Derek? I'm sure he won't mind me here."

"Actually..." Morgan sounded apprehensive.

There was a thud from upstairs. Leo had returned from his alone time, and we all sensed it.

"That's..." Maddie's voice sounded breathless. She was in disbelief.

"I don't think this is a good time for reunions." Morgan's voice sounded calm and no-nonsense.

"What? This is perfect! He's come back! I told you. He would leave that boring thing and come back." Her heels ticked on the floor, coming closer to the room.

I thought I had calmed down from my irritated mood, but it came back three-fold when I heard her comments.

Squaring my shoulders, I took two steps forward, appearing through the doorway, halting her progress, and the door opened from upstairs.

"Leave what boring thing, Maddie?" I confronted.

She stood, mouth agape, "What are you doing here?" she demanded.

"Could ask you the same thing." Leo's voice sounded from the top of the stairs.

I watched her face not turning and felt him stand beside me, just shy behind me. I felt his fingers brush my waist. I instinctively shifted closer, and his hand rested there.

I was glad he stood by me and the small touch of reassurance.

Maddie flipped her hair over her shoulder, "I'm your Ma's apprentice."

"Morgan's apprentice." We both corrected her.

She pursed her lips and eyes narrowed, and she asked, "What are you doing here?"

"That's none of your business." Leo's voice was curt and to the point. He still treated her the same as the last time he saw her.

"Derek told me about your predicament."

I raised an eyebrow, "and what predicament is that?"

A smile grew on her face. It was not a sweet smile, "Your death cycle."

"And how does Derek know that?" Leo swiftly asked.

She shrugged, and her smile dropped, "Didn't ask."

"Then he's talkin' pish," Leo retorted.

I bit my lip to refrain from laughing, but a smile grew instead.