21

My mind scrambled with where to start, how does one even go about asking of another's involvement in the mafia?

Sebastian gives me the time to gather my thoughts, he opts to remain leaning against the wall, keeping the door open as if to ease my mind of being shut in the room with him. His honey brown eyes never leave me and it distracts me even more.

Leo squirms a bit in my lap, but he's in his own world, busy twisting and untwisting the bit of my hair he's now gotten his hands on.

Into the quiet room I utter the first thing in mind, "I never signed up for any of this."

Sebastian's expression softens, his posture relaxing slightly. "I know, and I'm sorry. None of this should have involved you, Arabella. It's our responsibility to handle these matters, not yours."

I nod, grateful for his acknowledgment, yet still grappling with the overwhelming situation.

"Sebastian, can I ask you something?" I venture, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Of course," he replies, his tone gentle and reassuring.

"How... how did all of this happen?"

Sebastian sighs, his gaze momentarily shifting to the floor before meeting mine again. "It's complicated, Arabella. There are forces at play that we're trying to get to the root of right now. But rest assured, we're doing everything we can to protect our people."

I absorb his words, a mix of fear and determination churning in my gut. Despite the chaos surrounding us, I find a sliver of comfort in Sebastian's presence, in his willingness to have an honest conversation.

"Thank you," I whisper, meeting his gaze with newfound resolve. "For apologizing, for explaining... for everything."

Sebastian's offers a half smile but a slice of frustration simmers beneath his calm demeanor, evident in the continued slight furrow of his brow and the tightness in his jaw as he speaks.

"Arabella, I need you to understand something," he begins, his voice tinged with a hint of restrained emotion. "I'm sorry you've been dragged into this mess. It shouldn't have happened."

Not expecting the turn in conversation, I remain silent and allow him to continue. Sebastian's gaze continues to darken as he goes on choosing his words carefully.

"The Rossi's... they're arrogant, Arabella. They think they can handle everything on their own, but they've put all of us at risk with their shortsightedness."

I listen intently, sensing the weight of his words and the depth of his frustration. "So, you think this is their fault?" I ask, trying to piece together the complexities of the situation.

"In part, yes," Sebastian admits, a touch of bitterness in his tone. "They kept you hidden away with us, thinking they could protect you, but they never considered the consequences. Now you're caught up in something that should never have touched you."

A pang of guilt tugs at my heart as I realize the gravity of the situation. "I'm sorry," I murmur, feeling the weight of responsibility settling on my shoulders.

Sebastian shakes his head, his expression softening. "No, Arabella, don't apologize. None of this is your fault. You were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time."

A heavy silence hangs in the room between us, any other questions that may have been in my mind have now left and I don't know what else to say.

Leo takes the lull in conversation to clamber up to his feet. Standing in bed next to where I sit, with a small hand he pushes my hair back and presses a wet kiss to my forehead and presses his cheek to mine. The clumsy gesture of comfort brings a smile to my face and I wrap an arm around his body, pulling the little angel in for a hug.

"I've never seen him this attached to someone besides his father or uncle" Sebastian remarks as he looks on at the two of us.

I smile warmly, Leo's presence in my arms bringing a sense of comfort and nostalgia. "He's easy to love," I reply softly, a fondness evident in my voice. "Reminds me of myself when I was younger, a painfully shy kid finding solace in those I trusted."

Sebastian's gaze softens further, a hint of understanding flickering in his eyes. "He's lucky to have you," he says sincerely, his words carrying a weight of appreciation for the bond Leo and I share.

I nod, a sense of gratitude filling my heart. "I'm grateful for all your efforts to keep us safe," I say, turning the conversation back to the challenges we face. "...And thank you for coming to talk to me," I continue, my voice tinged with sincerity. "I know this must be difficult for you too, but your honesty means a lot."

Sebastian offers a small, understanding smile. "Clearing the air was necessary. We're all in this together now, Arabella, whether we like it or not."

"I appreciate that," I reply, a sense of determination seeping into my tone. "And I hope we can find our way back to being friends again."

Sebastian's gaze lightens, a warm brown now alive in his eyes. "Well I was aiming for more than friends, last we left it I believe there was to be a date of some kind?"

I freeze for a moment, surprised by Sebastian's candor, and all I am able to echo back is, "A date?"

Sebastian nods, a faint smile playing on his lips. "Yes, I know this may not be the ideal circumstances, but I still fully intend to woo you and make you mine, Arabella."

Leo, sensing the change in mood, interrupts with a playful giggle and shakes his head vigorously no, his black curls bouncing with the motion. I turn my attention to Leo, momentarily distracted from Sebastian's declaration, and chuckle softly at his antics. Sebastian, caught off guard as well by Leo's interruption, bursts into laughter at the adorable sight.

"Looks like Leo has his opinions on the matter," Sebastian remarks with a grin, his eyes sparkling with amusement.

I shake my head fondly at Leo's antics. "Seems like he's not too keen on the idea," I muse, enjoying the light-hearted moment amidst the tension.

Sebastian chuckles, nodding in agreement. "Perhaps he's trying to protect you from my questionable charms," he teases, the tension from their earlier conversation easing into a more relaxed atmosphere.

I playfully roll my eyes at this, a smile still lingering on my lips. "Or maybe he just wants all the attention for himself," I suggest, running a hand through Leo's soft curls as he plops down in my lap again.

Sebastian chuckles, leaning against the wall once again as he watches the interaction between Leo and I.

"I guess I'll just have to work harder to win both of your approvals," he says with a grin, his eyes reflecting genuine affection.