I See The Light

When Song arrived in Greenhaven, everyone gave her a good amount of distance. Of course, she was the empress who killed her father, tried to drown all of Erdas, and was supposed to be dead. They thought she was evil. Not that it bothered her. There were perks to it, including that she could grab all the food she wanted, do whatever she wanted, train however she wanted...

It was all good... right?

Song thought so. She had her other cult friends, and she belonged...

Right?

There was something off, though. 

"What's wrong with me?" She thought. "I'm alive. My father's dead. I have a home... of a sort. I'm free. I have friends now. I have everything I want, right?"

"...Don't I?"

She heard her name being called. Song glanced over her shoulder and ran towards her friends, jumping out of a tree and landing in the dirt. 

"What's up, Shady?" Shadow giggled. 

"We have been looking for you since dinner ended. So, you heard about me and Worthy's next wedding? We want you to be a bridesmaid."

 A pang shot through the empress's stomach like an arrow. Song grinned. 

"Sure. I'll come. I'm gonna blow up Oldvan's office. See ya!" Song ran off.

She ran up the castle, only stopping once she reached the highest tower. She sat on the ledge and looked up at the sky. She always loved to look up at it and marveled at its beauty since she was a child. It seemed to wake an inner peace inside her that calmed her rage whenever her dead father yelled at her.

But now it wasn't working.

This was a feeling beyond anger. Was it... No, she would not permit herself to stoop to that. Look at her, Empress Song, coming undone over this. Then what was this feeling of bitterness? Jealousy? No. She knew what that felt like. Sadness? No, she didn't feel like crying over that. It was... A mix of all three. Song thought back to what made her feel so down. What did they have that she didn't. That made her feel alienated. There was only one explanation... Loneliness.

When she admitted, a wave of shame crashed over her. Why was she expecting so much now? She nearly killed the world. She murdered how many souls? No man would want her. Nobody.

"Song, are you okay?"

Song jolted. A familiar voice spoke behind her. Katalin. "W- What do you want?" Song asked, trying to sound normal. Song felt her cheek. It was wet. Trying to discreetly wipe her eyes, she smiled. Katalin sat down with her. "You're quite lonely, aren't you?" The empress jolted. "No..."

"You don't have to fake it. I understand." Song took a shaky breath. "Well... I murdered so many and committed countless crimes... I guess this is karma."

"Doesn't mean you haven't changed." Katalin looked up at the sky. "You're funny, smart, and energetic. Everyone in the cult likes you for who you are. And you're... pretty, too." She added. They both looked away from each other. "Heh... Thanks. You too." Song said. Katalin sighed. "Your father was a jerk." Song began to laugh, her eyes sparkling. "That's an understatement." Katalin started to laugh too. 

"What? He only abused you." It wasn't that funny, but still, laughter was better than talking in awkward silence. Song grinned at her, smiling with a brightness she never had before. Song felt a surge of affection she never knew until that moment. She noticed Katalin was staring. Katalin looked away quickly. Song punched her lightly on the arm and burst out laughing again.

Boy, if her father knew what his daughter grew to be now... She was always told to sit down and play nice. He only ever found her male suitors, and none of them took her fancy. He never tolerated anything other than "what a proper young lady should be." But, who cares what that old man thought?.