Chapter 25

Serena's POV

Once again, I avoid his interrogation of my actions and change the subject, "were you hurt anywhere?" My voice carrying guilt and disappointment in myself. If I were to acted quicker none of this would have happened.

"No." He says but my eyes scan everywhere I could from his face to chest. A few cuts around his cheekbones and a busted lip.
"Who were they and why did they only target you?" His tone turns serious and his face comes down closer to my face.

"I don't know-" I simply shrugged facing away from him and stared at the warm fire. Truthfully, I'm never sure. Endless people are sent for my life since the day I was born.
"-maybe kidnappers who wants to my papa's money?" I try to not sound sarcastic while peeking at his reaction in the corner of my eyes.

God, why do I still try when he already suspects and witness everything I'm hiding.

Koen just nods with a frown plastered on his face, "and ... your back?" He hesitates on asking as I feel the tip of his finger glide down my spine.
Goosebump creeps on the surface of my skin and I hear my heartbeat kicking rapidly. It must be a fever.

"It's what I got for lying." I say remembering the pain of every single cut carved into my small body. I still recall my own agonising wail echoing around the walls and the... no. It's the past.

"Enough. Let's figure a way out." I settle my mind taking my focus back to my real assessment.

"We'll have to wait until sunrise in order to find shore. In our current state now, we would simply drown and die."

"Ok, let go."

"No, body heat."

"I'm no longer cold."

"But I'm freezing!"

"Sexual harassment and lack of consent."

"Plead innocent, survival purposes."

"What..." the fuck? Did the water hit him too hard? "... let me fix the bandages then." I bargain one last time.

Slowly his hold on me loosen and I'm able to pull myself up by pushing off from both my arms but Koen lifts my body to sit in between his crossed legs.
My bottom perfectly settled in, my back to his chest and his chin resting my on head. His arms circled around my waist.

I reach for the fabric wrapped around my ankle, untying the poorly sealed wrap and used the outer layer first to wrap the wound as it was cleaner than the one inside. I quickly tied the last knot and sunk back into Koen's body which is now resting against the wall.

I feel the steady pace of his breathing and notice how his arms are now much looser than before. He's asleep.
Then I felt my eyes hanging heavy, I try to fight my tiredness but I'm yawning endlessly and my eyes keeps on blinking slow. It's warm.

———

Koen's POV

It was so peaceful just a moment ago, I remember standing in the shadow of a big tree behind the yard watching the bubbles float to the blue sky. But now the side of my head is aching like a baseball just collided at full speed.