𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟕

HARIS

“Jamaal is going to be the next governor?” I ask, pretending to be shocked at the news Taimoor just told me.

We’re at the bakery, we came here to help the girls.

Since it’s festival week, Zoya is preparing sweets and warm goods to take to the town’s hospital.

According to Taimoor, she has done this ever since she started her business with Farah and Lubna beside her.

Taimoor and I bonded after a few days I overheard him with his father- No, I did not tell him that I eavesdropped.

We casually filled our awkward silence with random conversation and ended up becoming good friends.

How do I know we’re friends? Because according to a certain someone, Taimoor has never trusted anyone enough to bring along with him when he comes to the bakery or whenever to help the girls.

It’s been three days since the festival started and four days left till Sohail’s deadline. Taimoor has neither told Farah to accept Jamaal’s proposal or warned the woman he’s interested in.

“Jamaal is the oldest son and Abbu’s favorite.” Taimoor says, “Abbu has taught him his ways to governor the town and it is worse than anything I have heard.”

“What about you? Do you not want the position?”

He shrugs, “I am not interested in the position but considering Abbu’s and bhai’s ways, I would rather be the governor. For the town’s sake. And maybe have what I have wanted for so long.”

Taimoor’s eyes shine with hurt and sadness at his last sentence before he quickly masks it.

Maybe have what I have wanted for so long.

He releases a small sigh, “Abbu gave me a deadline.”

“Of what?” I ask.

“My brother wants to marry Farah but she refused his proposal. If I don’t make her accept his proposal, Abbu will force Jamaal to marry the woman I want to marry.” His muscles lock at his next sentence, “And that marriage won’t be pretty.”

Horror takes over Taimoor’s features as he stares into the distance- imagining the outcome of his father’s actions.

His father is well aware of his feelings towards this woman. Whoever who has looked at Taimoor closely or spent time with him would know for who he has those feelings and how much he wants her.

Still, I start to ask.

“Who is-“

“I’m here!” my question gets cut off as Zoya strolls towards our table holding a tray containing two cups of chai.

Taimoor’s head quickly lifts up and his features soften at the sight of her.

So, my suspiciousness was correct.

“I’m sorry, I brought out your order late. I got too caught up in the kitchen and Farah has not arrived yet and Lubna is hopeless when it comes to baking and-“
“it’s okay.” Taimoor says, softy, a small smile tugging at his lips.

A shade of pink spreads across Zoya’s cheeks as she stares into Taimoor’s eyes.
My eyes move back and forth between them.

I didn’t sign up for this.

I clear my throat loud enough for both of them to jump out of their haze. The shade on Zoya’s cheeks turns brighter when she whips at my direction, realizing I’m present in the room while Taimoor directs a glare at me.