𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟑

HARIS

“Do you think the Sultan will visit the festival?”

My head snaps towards the source of question.

Zoya, Farah and Lubna are sitting by their stalls. Zoya is handing the change to a customer while Farah packs their order.

After their done with their task and the customer leaves, they turn their attention towards the person who asked the question.

Lubna.

Farah is the first one to answer, “what makes you think he’ll reveal his identity today?” her voice contains nothing but annoyance.

You really hate me that much?

Lubna shrugs, “Looks like the perfect day.”

“It is. I don’t want it to be ruined.”

“Farah, stop.” Zoya says and Farah starts playing with the end of her kurti, “If he does decide to come, we need to be on our best behavior.”

“My best behavior is keeping myself away from him. I succeeded in it.”

Ouch.

I rub my hand over my chest at the sudden ache.

Just then a carriage arrives at the end of line of stalls. Commotion starts as everyone starts to peek at the carriage.
Taimoor and I stand up to walk over and see who came.

The Royal carriage comes into my sight and my sister exits it.

The sound of thrill echoes around the town’s people and my sister gives them a sweet smile, greeting whoever comes to her.

“Now, that is someone I am happy to see from the Palace.”

I internally sigh.

I desperately want to be in my sister’s place.

That’s a new thought.

Soon, everyone starts to take their places back at their stall as Aiza starts visiting all the stalls.

Assalamu Alaikum, Sultana.” The girls stand up and greet at once as Aiza arrives at their stall.

Aiza smiles and greets back, “Wale Kum Assalam, everyone. How are you?”

“we’re good, Alhumdulillah.” Zoya says, “what about you, Sultana?”

“I am well, Alhumdulillah-“

“Sultana.”

My sister turns around when Jamaal reaches her.

“Yes?”

Assalamu Alaikum. Thank you for visiting the festival.”

Wale Kum Assalam. There’s no need for thanking me. I love festival week, I wouldn’t miss it.”

“Very well, let me take you to one of our best stalls.”

“She hasn’t finished visiting ours.” Farah says with a tight smile.

Jamaal looks at her as if she’s worth nothing and says, “the Sultana must visit proper stall.”

“This is a proper stall.”

“You have not gotten more than five customers.”

“That does not mean our stall isn’t good as others.”

“The Sultana will visit the other stalls after she’s done with ours, bhai.” Taimoor says with an incredible calm.

Jamaal’s jaw clenches as he looks at his brother, “do not interfere in this. Father put me in charge to make sure the Sultana was treated well.”

“You haven’t even given us the chance, Jamaal.” Zoya says, hurt coating her voice.

“You’re making a scene.” Lubna says with a hard glare.

“You’re making my duty difficult.”

“Hate to interrupt,” I say and Jamaal looks at me, “but do you think the Sultana cannot hear you?”

Jamaal realizes that my sister is in fact not deaf and looks at her. Aiza gives us a small awkward smile.

“I am so sorry you had to witness such behavior.” Jamaal says the last two words while glaring at us.

“it’s alright. And I appreciate you wanting to show me around but this is not my first festival. I can take care of myself and I wanted to visit Zoya’s stall.”

“You did?” Zoya asks, surprised.

“Yes. I have tasted your pastries and they’re one of my favorite sweets.”

“Really?”

“When did you visit?” Lubna asks.

“I didn’t… I, um, asked one of the guards to get me some.”

I silently release a breath of relief.

“You can leave now, Jamaal. The Sultana will be fine.” Farah says with a hard stare.

Jamaal opens his mouth to say something but Farah ignores him by asking Zoya a question. A muscle ticks in Jamaal’s jaw and my lips curve into a small smirk.

He notices and I don’t hide it.

He tells Aiza to ask for him if she needs anything and she nods then he leaves.

“I apologize for my brother’s behavior.” Taimoor says.

“It’s alright. I don’t mind.” She says, “I am eager to have some sweets.”

“What?- oh, yes! Of course!”

Zoya and Farah start to hurry and pack her orders.

“I hope you don’t mind if I ask, will your brother be coming?” Lubna asks.

“um..” Aiza takes a quick glance at me before saying, “not today, I’m afraid.”

“Oh, alright. We were just curious when he would take the throne.”

“Do not worry. It will be soon.”

However, I am not sure how soon