𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟐

HARIS

I hadn’t thought of taking over the Sultan’s position for the next thirty years.

Granted, I would’ve been very old by then and who knows? Not lived that long but my main goal was not taking over the Sultan’s position at the age of twenty-nine.

I have never been interested in my father’s position, a mindset my father never liked. He tried tooth and nail to get me interested, making me attend meetings with his pashas or listen to reports.

I admit I wasn’t inattentive all the time. I knew one day I had to take over his position and I wanted to be prepared.

I studied as much as I could about it and the reason I didn’t listen to my father is because some of his ways didn’t sit right with me.

I always had a gut feeling that father was doing something the wrong way or going on the wrong path. Of course, I couldn’t confront him, that way I would be disrespecting not only my father but also the well-respected Sultan. So, I asked my mother.

“Some people step on the wrong path unconsciously sometimes. And sometimes, the wrong and easy path looks right to them.”

That was my mother’s answer.

I spent that whole night replaying her words, thinking of every possible scenario she must be painting.

“…and the town’s people are waiting for an announcement about the new Sultan.” Waleed- my father’s highest ranked pasha- completes going over all the situations and affairs I have to go through.

I’m sitting in my father’s office- which is now mine- Waleed standing across the desk while I am sitting on the chair across him, staring at the books placed on the desk.

The office is medium sized room with two windows that overlook the Palace Garden. The walls are colored beige, red curtains tied at the corner of windows. A bookshelf stands in the corner, near my desk. Two chairs sit across mine, a red sofa and a small table sits in the corner of the room. Two guards stand on alert by the door waiting for any order I give them.

It has been a week and three days since my father- the former Sultan- passed away and a week filled with countless information, tasks and duties thrown my way.

I avert my gaze from the books and turn my attention towards Waleed, “thank you for filling me in, pasha.” He nods, “I will look over it myself as well.”

“Of course, Sultan.” He places the papers on my desk.

“Is there anything else you want, pasha? Anything that can help you or your family.”

Waleed is now retiring from his position of being the most senior Pasha. I have known him since I can remember and he has always been by my father’s side, not only treating him but us with respect and loyalty.

“I’m grateful but I do not need anything.” He says with a smile.

“Alright then. I wish you could stay for a while but I am sure you want to head back to your family in Urabia as soon as possible.”

“Yes, Sultan.”

“Alright. Please let one of the royal coachmen take you to your destination. You have always been helpful and loyal to us. This might not be a lot but please, consider it.”

“I’d be honored, Sultan.”

“Please ask one of the coachmen to drive Pasha to his destination safely.” I say to the guard standing by the door, he nods in response and opens the door.