𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟐

Taimoor bhai was very impatient and wanted to get married to his beloved as soon as he could.

So, the day after Laiba aunty accepted Taimoor bhai’s proposal, we started preparing for the nikkah.

Taimoor bhai, Hassan and Owais- Lubna’s brother- went to get their suits, take care of the nikkah arrangements and food while me and Lubna took Zoya shopping for her dress.

Most of the time, Lubna and I kept teasing her. We love seeing her bright red trying to stop us but also liking it. We’ve waited years for this.

Today is finally the day that these two will be married.

Zoya will sign her nikkah papers at her house while Taimoor bhai will sign his nikkah papers at the masjid.

“I am so excited,” I say, not being able to contain my excitement, “I can’t wait to see Taimoor bhai’s reaction when he sees you!” I let out a little squeal which makes Zoya chuckle.

“I am with you on this one. Taimoor bhai always has a poker face, well, not around his crush,” Lubna dramatically batting her eyelashes, earning a hit on her shoulder by Zoya.

“That was so weird,” Zoya says, chuckling

“Agreed. Please forget I ever did that.” Lubna says in a serious tone.

“I am going to announce to the whole town that you did this,” I say.

“Fine, then, I am going to announce that you have a crush on Hassan-“

I slap my hand on her mouth, “shhh! Laiba aunty will hear.”

Lubna rolls her eyes and removes my hand from my mouth, “she’s too busy dreaming about how her life will be now that the governor is her son-in-law,”

“I hope she doesn’t demand him around,” Zoya says.

“She won’t,” Lubna says, “and even if she does asks for something, Taimoor bhai won’t mind as long as you’re happy.”

“But I don’t want him to be burdened with Ammi’s demands.”

“Zoya, as long as Taimoor bhai has you, nothing in this world can upset him.” I say, “he has liked you since I could remember. If Zohaib were here, he would’ve gotten beaten by Taimoor bhai for teasing him so much,”

Lubna and Zoya let out a soft laugh and I smile.

“I wish Bisma aunty was here,” Zoya says with a small smile.

“She wanted you two together more than anyone,” Lubna says.

A ghost of smile takes over my lips, “she would have been thrilled.”

We all stay quiet for a while before we engulf each other in a hug.

“I love you two so much,” Zoya says.

“I love you guys too,”

“Don’t ever tell anyone I let you guys hug me,” Lubna says.

Zoya and I laugh at her seriousness as she says it.

________

Zoya’s and Taimoor’s bhai nikkah gets completed successfully.

Now, it’s time for the bride to make her entrance to the groom.

Taimoor bhai and everyone else are waiting in the main room.

“it’s time!”

Lubna and I peck each of Zoya's cheeks as good luck before we hold her arms and lead her into the main room.

As soon as Zoya steps into the room, Taimoor bhai’s eyes doesn’t leave her. His face softens at the sight of her and his lips form into a small smile.

Lubna and I step back as Taimoor bhai takes her hand, he gently pulls her closer and engulfs her in a warm hug.

His whole body relaxes as soon as she wraps her arms around him.

The whole room stays quiet. Everyone present in the room know how much they both wanted each other and how close they were to loosing hope.

When they pull away, Taimoor bhai looks on the verge of tears, smiling at his wife while Zoya tries to calm him down.

Allah tested them both with so much patience and they succeeded and got their reward. May their love only grow from now on.

After a while, everyone makes their way to the backyard where a huge table is placed full of food. We all settle down to talk and eat.

I look around the table to look for a familiar face. When I don’t find him, an unsettling feeling sets in the pit of my stomach.

“Looking for your lover?” Lubna whispers in my ear.

I look at her with wide eyes but she just laughs, “will you please not say it like that?”

“your face is so worth looking at right now,”

I roll my eyes, “where is he though?” I swear, I saw him hiding behind someone when Zoya entered.

Why was he hiding?

“I think he left,” Lubna says.

“why so soon?”

“Farah, you’re asking me as if he told me before leaving,” she says, “I don’t know. Ask Taimoor bhai.”

“I am not going to ask him about this. Especially today. He probably erased everyone from around him except Zoya. He hasn’t stopped looking at her,”

We both turn towards where Zoya and Taimoor bhai are sitting. And like I said, Zoya is talking to someone and Taimoor bhai is staring at her with a smile on his face.

Lubna and I look back at each other with a knowing smile.

“Khair. Maybe Hassan had an emergency,”

“what kind of emergency?-“

“Farah, he didn’t tell me! Eat your food, you’re hungry,”

I pout, “you’re very mean,”

“I don’t care as long as I get to eat,” she says and puts a spoon full of biryani in her mouth.

I make a face at her then turn my attention towards my food.

Every time, I keep glancing at the door hoping he will walk through.

Every time, I’m disappointed when he doesn’t.