𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟏

FARAH

“Taimoor and I are getting married.”

The world stops as soon as Zoya drops the news bomb.

Lubna stops midway picking up a pastry and I stop reading when her voice reaches my ear.

Both me and Lubna slowly turn our attention to Zoya who just walked in the bakery.

“Did you just-“

“Yes.”

“Oh, my God!”

Lubna and I jump up from our seat and attack Zoya in a big hug, yelling, “congratulations!”

Zoya lets out a soft chuckle before we pull away.

Lubna is the first one to fire a question, “how did this happen? I thought your mom said no.”

“well, yes, but Taimoor just got the position of the governor and as much as it is sad but Ammi finally said yes to Taimoor’s proposal because he was worth it. I would have married him either way but having Ammi’s blessing is amazing.”

“That’s amazing- wait,” I frown, “Did you just say Taimoor bhai got the position as the governor?”

“Yes. The Sultan called him and his father today to announce his decision. He will announce it publicly in one or two days.”

“Oh.. that’s amazing. As well as shocking.” I say.

“why?” Lubna asks.

“I honestly didn’t expect this change. I thought he’d be like his father.”

“it’s a good thing that he isn’t, right?”

“Hopefully. Anyways, we are so happy for you!”

Zoya grins and we engulf her in another hug before we start plan her wedding.
_____

As soon as I’m done with my shift, I hurry home to tell Abbu the good news.

“Abbu!” I yell as I enter the house and find him sitting on the dining table with his cup of chai. I quickly sit beside him, “Assalamu Alaikum!”

“Wale Kum Assalam, beta.” Abbu says, “what happened? You look very energetic and happy.”

“I am! Taimoor bhai and Zoya are getting married!”

Abbu smiles and puts away his cup as he says, “really? What changed Zoya’s mother's mind?”

“Taimoor bhai just got the position of the next governor. The sultan will announce his decision publicly in a few days. It is still a little sad that she didn’t think Taimoor bhai was worth Zoya before but nonetheless, we’re happy that they’re finally getting married.”

“You’re right.” Abbu nods, “I am thrilled to know this.”

I grin and put away my bag.

“I always knew he would make right decisions.”

I look at Abbu and find him smiling proudly in a distance.

“who?” I ask.

Abbu looks at me, “Haris. The new Sultan,”

I frown, “That’s something that doesn’t set right with me.”

“Why, beta?”

“I don’t like him, Abbu. He spent most of his life hidden from his own people, he didn’t try to be included in what was happening in the Kingdom AND he ignored what would have been helpful for our kingdom.”

Even talking about him makes my blood boil.

However, Abbu laughs. I blink at him.

“What is so funny?”

“I never thought you’d talk about your old friend like this.”

“wh- old friend?!” horror coats my voice as well my expression, “I have never met him! And ya, Allah, I never want to.”

“Beta, you have met him but you were very young. That must be why you don’t remember.”

“it must have been a bad encounter.”

“It was not. Not at all. You quickly got along with him, more than you got along with his sister.” Abbu smiles, “his father even joked that you may become the future Sultana by marrying Haris.”

“but… that was just a joke, right?”

“I’m afraid it was. Haris is a very talented and smart child. I always knew he was the best choice to rule over a Kingdom.”

“But what about him ignoring Zohaib bhai? He could’ve helped.”

“Beta, that was just the information one of the guards told Zohaib. He and I both know if Haris wanted to disagree on something, he would discuss it himself. He's smarter than what people think of him.”

“Oh… so, you really think he is the right person for this Kingdom?”

Abbu’s smile widens, “I am sure.”