Chapter 19.3 - Allies of the Way

They were two dozen in number, all standing at the other end of the chamber in two staggered rows. The H'raal were large and very thickset, towering ten feet in height. Their bodies were covered in dense azure plumage, but they looked reptilian in nature, with large, heavy tails and emerald-green scaly skin visible on their clawed limbs and elongated snouts, where the plumage tapered off. Their orange-yellow slit-pupiled eyes gleamed coldly as they assessed the group before them.

One of the H'raal made a gesture, indicating for Airo and Veralla to take off their helmets. Airo checked the atmosphere readings. There was air and pressure, and both were within human standards. He retracted the power armor's helmet, while Veralla slid up the visor of her vacsuit. The interior was quite dark, even with light coming off from the energy surfaces, yet somehow everything was perfectly clear to see. Although Magus didn't do anything, Airo got the impression the old Knight removed some kind of barrier around himself.

As soon as Veralla revealed her face, several of the H'raal hissed sharply. One of them pointed an arm downward, and a spear of solidified energy flowed from the floor into its hand. The alien brandished the dangerous weapon, making a threatening step towards Veralla, who yelped in alarm and backed away. Airo shouted and instantly drew his crystal-bladed katana, moving between Veralla and the H'raal, ready for battle.

Magus Dei stood beside Airo with a halting gesture, and spoke to the aliens in an unknown, fierce language. Airo's power armor translated his words: "Wait. She is not a hydra."

The spear-carrying H'raal bared its sharp teeth and made to move closer, yet stopped when another H'raal raised its clawed hand to bar its way. "Magus Dei," the other H'raal intoned, the words uttered in Standard One. "So you have come again. Are you here to fulfill the promise you have given?"

Magus spoke again in that strange language. "I am honored to be welcomed into your sanctuary. Alas, I come for different reasons, in order to seek your aid in a matter of grave importance."

The H'raal narrowed its slit-pupiled eyes. "Do not waste the holy Æther to mimic our language," it said. "Only the juvenile Great One here would be able to properly learn it anyway. We understand your speech. Use it instead." The H'raal's voice was rumbling and faintly sibilant, closely resembling the same general tonality a dragon had. Airo wasn't sure, but judging on this comparison of his, he deemed the speaking H'raal to be female.

"As you wish, Te'ylna Ynrolshuoay," Magus nodded, and gestured for Airo to sheathe his katana. He did so reluctantly, while Veralla sidled closer to stand beside him.

"Shy. Call me Shy," the H'raal said, and motioned to her companion. The other H'raal dismissed the energy spear. "Otherwise it would be difficult for your warrior clan-kin to address me. Now, why have you come here, if it is not to fulfill your promise, Magus Dei?"

"One of our greatest warriors has fallen to the influence of the Starblaze," Magus began gravely. "He nearly unmade our guardian clan, and took control over the Terra Para Shard. Somehow, he attained the knowledge how to channel the Shard's power directly, and his madness has compelled him to use that knowledge to... to bring order to the universe. By destroying the entirety of all reality."

The H'raal named Shy was silent for a few moments. "That is a dire threat indeed," she agreed. "Especially given the connection between the Void and the Starblaze."

"We came here to ask you for your aid," Magus continued. "We implore you to support us in our fight against this all-encompassing menace. Please, Te'ylna Shy, help us defeat this enemy of the Great Cosmos itself."

The H'raal leader paused again before making her reply. "You say only one of your warriors was corrupted by the Starblaze, correct?"

"Yes, that is correct," Magus said.