Chapter 19 - Allies of the Way

CHAPTER 19 – ALLIES OF THE WAY

"Having arrived in our galaxy scarcely two decades ago and isolated from both the Consortium and the Union, it is understandable they still present a major mystery. Regardless, against intense interest from both the public and from highly-respected academics like xenologist Paval Juykone, governmental and private institutions refuse to establish stronger diplomatic or cultural relations with these exo-galactyrs. In fact, such endeavors are actively discouraged. One can only speculate why the leaders of transhumanity so audaciously disregard such prodigious people who had achieved the remarkable feat of crossing the intergalactic medium, a miracle beyond our current capabilities due to the ruinous constraints of the Black Void."

– Archivist Nakatori Jel, "The H'raal Enigma", Datalinks

Up close the Revenant vaguely resembled the human it had been in life. The golden, spectral shape carried an echo of features, a hint of eyes, a trace of posture. It didn't speak. It didn't try to get free. It did nothing at all, its ethereal visage completely devoid of all discernable expression.

Airo and Veralla stood a few paces away. The Revenant was restrained by a barely-visible set of Æther barriers, emitted by several projectors from the nearby walls. The makeshift prison was installed on Ilsorin's medical level, since the area had the most readily-available aethertech designed for outward interaction. Two Radiant Knights were posted on guard until the interrogation was concluded. They were the Emaerel twins. The irony wasn't lost on Airo.

"So how did you capture a... a Revenant?" Veralla asked, staring at the apparition, her wings and tail twitching nervously.

"A roaming band of them stumbled upon one of the supply meetings," he said. "We were well within capability to eliminate them, so I ordered several Conduits among the Knights to focus on a single target and attempt to restrain it. A spontaneous opportunity, though transporting the thing proved challenging."

"Conduits? I thought Awakened Knights were called aethereals."

"Well, semantics," Airo snorted. "The Consortium uses a more pragmatic term, while the Order sticks to its symbolic lingo. It is probably because of the old man."

"Old man? Oh, you mean Magus." Veralla flicked her forked tongue in thought. "So, what are you going to do with this Revenant?"

"Cloud will attempt to question it for information. Experiment on it, see the extent of these monsters' capabilities. Then kill it."

"Kill it?" Veralla startled, her purple eyes full of concern. "But–"

"Give me a break," Airo snapped. "That thing is not a living being anymore. It is not even a spirit, according to others. Look at it!"

She did so. "Yes, well, you are right," she murmured. "Although..."

"Are you sensing something?" he asked, suddenly intent.

"I... no, I am not sure." She shook her horn-crested head. "Its aura is too terrible for me to dwell on it."

"All right," he said. "Do not strain yourself. You are not expected to take part in this anyway. How is Nightsong?" he asked, cursing himself at changing the subject so clumsily, and with such choice of topic.

"Oh," she said, her wings drooping a little, "she is still very sick. Kiana is still caring for her, but she is very tired. I want to help but I do not know how." Her voice was despondent. "I am afraid they both might die."

Airo didn't know what to say. He was never one to use false assurances, and had no idea how to console Veralla in the current situation. He petted her head, and she rubbed thankfully against his touch. He told her the only thing which came to mind: "Do you want to visit them now?"