Chapter 10- All on the table

Start from the beginning

As the announcement finished I waited briefly to see others come from other parts of the church. Zach moved out of his seat to my right and quickly went forward and whispered something to the ear of the guy with the mic and then sat down, pushing his arm back around Rachel.

As I went to stand up the front beside 5 others, 2 of them stepped across to shake my hand. The others I nodded at. Dunedin was too small to not know each other at least by sight. But the 2 I knew well, was because I had worked closely with them on my team last year to solve a homicide. It was a gang related matter and I was well aware that stepping into the middle of something like that never went unnoticed by the criminal community, and even long after the case was wrapped up, it kept me very vigilant for my own personal safety. Which gave the whole prayer deal that much more significance, I would happily take whatever was offered.

Then with a break from what had previously happened the guy with the mic said, "Can I just have everyone's attention." The church fell silent. I shifted uncomfortably on my feet. The volume of the music on stage dropped right away. "As well as those that we already know, from our church family, we have a visitor today. Sergeant Max Mcleod, who heads a policing unit out of our Dunedin Central Police station. Welcome Max," he smiled at me. "So as the ministry team prays for each person, let's join with them and pray together. "

The same man that had prayed for Cassie came and stood in front of me, he looked me in the eye, shook my hand and introduced himself as Cam. After chatting with me briefly to put me at ease he prayed. I felt strangely understood and moved as I returned to my seat. Somehow just sharing a couple of recent concerns, and receiving prayer made me feel not quite so alone. As soon as I sat down Cassie reached tentatively for my hand and smiled.

The same guy that had prayed for both Cassie and I took the mic, and started speaking as the musicians took their seats.

" Welcome all and thank you for your support today. My name is Cam Henderson, the senior pastor here at Harbourside Life Church. 5 years ago my wife had a dream to see those that served us in the community, receive our support as a church community. Sadly she missed last year's service, having passed away shortly before it. I like to think of it as going home. Going home to be with the Lord she loved. But in talking to you all, there was clear that there was on going support to see this dedication service stay as part of our church calandar."

"Do you know we are living stones?" There was a murmer of agreement around the building.

"God is putting us strategically in the community to make a difference and help others.

Be a teacher, nurse, fuel station attendant or builder, whatever God has called you to be, be it to the best of your ability. God will always enable you, just for the asking. God will give strength and wisdom beyond what you thought you were able."

He continued to talk as I looked sideways at Cassie. My mind was racing, trying to take our all in. It all started to fall into place.

She looked down, and tried to pull her hand from mine. I didn't let it go, instead I pulled it up to my chest, keeping my hand covering hers. So this is why she has been so cautious with me.

We sat through the rest of his talk then after the final song everyone started making their way out to have morning tea, which was a bit weird as it was almost lunch time. We stayed pretty much where we were. Cassie stood close to me, and quietly said, "This is me."

She shrugged her shoulders lifting her hands palm facing upwards and then letting them fall.

"I'm not going anywhere, I haven't seen anything to change my mind about you. " I gave her a cheeky smile. Just as I was going to reach up and cup her face, the man I now knew to be her father approached us.

"Dad I would like you to meet Max. " He smiled and took my hand again. "Nice to meet the young man that has taken Cassie's eye. "

"Dad," Cassie cringed, "Enough of that." She leaned over, gave him a quick kiss and said, "I am heading out for lunch, see you later ok?" He smiled patting me on the shoulder as we moved away.

Lara and Rachel stayed close as we headed through the church out towards the car park. Many people came up to Cassie, I did my best to read who was genuine and who was upsetting her. Some were more obvious than others. It was unbelievable that some people could say what they did. But Cassie remained remarkably calm. Many looked at me curiously, some were openly judging me as an imposter.

Once we hit the carpark it was decided that Cassie would travel with me and we would all meet up at Great Taste for lunch. Before we got into the car and after the others had drifted off, Cassie turned to me and looked me in the eye. She stepped in closer, then quicker than I expected she launched herself at me, throwing her arms high up around my neck, knocking me back against the car. I laughed saying "Hey, easy. You ok?"

With my arms wrapped tightly around her waist and easing her up a little so her face was right by mine, she slid her hands from behind my neck till they were either side of my face and said, "You are amazing." resting her forehead on mine, I could feel her sweet warm breath hitting my face and warming me all over. "Thanks for coming today, and thanks for the way you made me feel so special and protected as we left. It was like, like I had my own body guard. " She giggled, wrapping her arms tightly around my neck again.

I sighed, loving the spontaneous moment.  

"My pleasure," I said. My voice huskier than I expected. Clearing my throat I continued.

"I think coming to church with you was worth it just for this moment. "

She grinned at me. I groaned as she released her arms and slid down my body. She looked up puzzled "You ok?" I laughed and held her against me for a moment, "Give me a minute" I said. As realisation dawned on her, colour flood her cheeks. Opening the car door I helped her in. "Let's go eat. " She smiled up at me making my heart clench with feelings I didn't recognise.

I felt there was a lot to say and talk about. But the morning had been pretty intense so I thought it would be best to lighten the mood for awhile.  

I smiled to myself at the way people had swamped her, giving her no room to move at times. Cassie being a pastors daughter gave me a lot to process. It seemed as if she was like the darling of the whole Church. They all seemed to want part of her. People waiting 2-3 deep to talk to her, hug her. It reminded me of some diplomatic protection work I did once, although she was clearly not in physical danger, I felt that she was close to emotional overload. But being able to help her and protect her felt so good, so right. I just hoped that she still wanted to have me around. It made me wonder how I measured up.

### 

Vote, comment!? Please

What do you think? This is my first upload on Wattpad, so I would really appreciate any feedback, or comments. 

Does Max back away? Is this all just to much for Max?

vote 

vote 

vote 

please. love to hear your comments!@ 

Thanks For reading.