Chapter 8- Holidays Begin

Start from the beginning

Dad looked down at his cereal bowl again, looking undecided. "What is it Dad?"

"I don't mean to nag but..." I jumped in, interrupting him. "Dad its no big deal. I told you I would come tomorrow, so I'll be there. Zach and Rachel are going to call past to pick me up, as you will probably leave before me. I have invited a friend to come as well. Also Lara is not one to be left out so she will meet us at the church. There is a guy she has been seeing, so I would be surprised if she hasn't invited him too." I paused for breath.

"Thanks," Dad said with a sad smile. "I know that the dedication service was one of the first things we went to after Sophias funeral, but having you there will make the day that much more special for me. So, enough about that, tell me who it is you have invited. "

"arrrh.. I didn't think you would let that one slip get you." I felt heat spread over my cheeks, turning red with embarrassment. "Do you remember the other night I went out to Dave and Traces place? Well a friend of theirs, Max, was there and he came out with the crowd last night too. He is a Sargeant in the Police. I don't know him that well, but I do enjoy his company." I paused, trying to find the best way to describe what we were to each other. "I have to admit, that when I invited him, I may not have been as gracious as I should have been. "

My Dad started laughing, gently at first, but as my look went from surprise to mock annoyance, he laughed hard enough to wipe tears from his eyes.

He loaded his dishes into the dishwasher, "Thanks Cass, you have no idea how much I needed that. You, gracious? inviting a young man to church for the first time? knowing you, it probably sounded more like a challenge. But he accepted, so he goes up in my estimation, and is clearly not easily intimidated." he shook his head as he headed off out of the kitchen, still chuckling.  

"What are your plans today? I hope you are not going to bother with house work."

"I might do a quick tidy around, but I just got a text from Rach. I am meeting her at the mall for coffee at 11, and she wants to pick out some new running shoes."

"See you later. "

He was still smiling and shaking his head as he disappeared. It was so nice to see him smile. His eyes had lost the light in them when Mum had died. We had muddled along together, going through the motions of real life for so long. It had all just felt like an echo of a tune we had known, but couldn'tquite remember. Now, just in the past couple of weeks the fog had started to lift. So when I smiled it felt like it connected to a real emotion, and not just my face trying it on for size. Church tomorrow would be nice, and Dad really wanted me there. But I would have to be strategic with my friends and where we sat, if I didn't want to get swamped by well meaning people who really just wanted to get close to me for who I was, and not because they had any genuine concern for me. I could see the faux sympathy a mile away.

I met Rachel sometime later and as we chatted, sharing a salad sub and muffins. The conversation turned to the protest. "Susans friend Corey has a Court date next week. The main charges are disturbing the peace and assault on a police officer."

"No way. How could he possibly have done that? Do they have any evidence?"

"Apprently they do. Also its not the first time he has been in a protest recently." What Max had said about people actively looking for opportunities to disturb the peace came back to mind.

"Yeah, I think they are often referred to as professional protesters. I am surprised Susan puts up with him. He sounds like trouble. " Susan was an acquaintance of mine from Zumba group classes but Rachel knew her well through seeing her at the gym.