Book 1: Water | 55 | Phantom Allies

Start from the beginning

"Ayaan...?"

It scared him how empty his stare on them was, as if he didn't recognize them. Ayaan seemed to be studying them, eyes set in an apathetic glare. Something seemed to swim within those dark pools of midnight blue, a single spark of white mesmerizing as it danced in them.

'A moon in the starless night sky...'

Those eyes continued to search everyone they could see. The Phantom trio was passed by first, a flicker of recognition coming and going. Then they landed on Sokka and Katara, softening just a tad, enough for them to believe that maybe he did remember them, or whoever this being was knew of them.

But they paused when they landed on Aang. Those unspeakably deep eyes bore into him as if seeing through him. The slab began freezing over. The entire area became chilled enough for breath to be seen, the ground crackling as it became layered in thin ice. A flood of incomprehensible rage made the arrow on his head faintly glow in response.

A name only the Phantoms recognized from their stories left his lips.

"Raava..."

"Who...?" Aang didn't know why a flood of regret filled him. He didn't understand why those eyes held such anger in them, a sense of utter betrayal and rage that was palpable within the frozen air. Why?

Why?

Then, the symbol disappeared. His eyes closed. And the foreboding feeling they all got went away like a lie. Ayaan's breathing calmed, his skin returning to a healthy shade. As if the past few minutes didn't occur.

"What happened to him? What is this?" Sokka whispered. He remembered seeing those eyes before... when Aang had accidentally sent that massive wave at him and Appa. He had the same apathy then, the same far-away look.

"The Asrani are cursed, and as such, any form of contact with them is fiercely rejected by those blessed by spirits," Liù explained, his voice carrying a hint of wariness as he watched entranced Ayaan.

"Is that what caused the shaking...?" Katara asked, feeling even worse. She should have left well enough alone. She should have just agreed when Ayaan said he wanted to leave. Now, her brother was hurt, and she didn't know what to do.

"Yes. Lord Ayaan's body and spirit were negatively affected and were in a chaotic state." The waterbender continued, "Lord Ayaan is a blessed child. It is more than just being liked, it is love. A possessive, aggressive type of love. It sensed that he was in danger, and its blessing reacted to protect him."

'It?'

"What you saw was our ritual to sate the spirit's anger," Wǔ answered this time. His voice was light and soothing. "Water heals, warmth soothes, and the glass created reflects their light and calms the senses."

"Then... what was that?" Aang whispered. "That didn't look calm to me!"

Ayaan... that wasn't Ayaan. Ayaan always felt warm, calm, and inviting. Sokka agreed with him with a single nod. He'd been following his brother all of his life, he'd know him with his eyes closed. Whatever that was... it wasn't him. It was cold, calculating... scary.

There was nothing within those eyes. It didn't feel like Ayaan was looking at them. All of them, at the back of their minds, could tell this was true.

"Did you think all there was to a blessed child was boosted strength and changed hair? They share their life with the spirit they're bonded with. In every life they may live."

To the phantoms, it was the most obvious thing in the world. The presence of the spirit is the whole reason they needed to do that ritual. The words they spoke were in the ancient language of the Asrar, which spirits understand. It was an assurance that their child was in safe hands, a promise of protection.