Book 1: Water | 39 | Yon

Art Drawn By Me! Happy New Years! I'm glad to be back!

Night had descended on the prison yard. One could see the youths and elderly shivering from the biting cold it resulted in. The guards didn't even provide them with proper blankets, just thin sheets that did nothing for them. So the most common sight was people huddling together for any semblance of warmth.

He was sure that the guards had plenty of blankets to give; they did this just to bully the earthbenders.

These scumbags were laughing at that.

Ayaan could see them laughing from the tops of the lookout, even having the audacity to point while doing so. From what he'd heard from the constant grumbles and complaints from the prisoners, some of the older ones here had already succumbed to the harsh environment, simply much too old to persevere.

Not every elderly was like Tyro. Most had been simple merchants, having long since retired from earthbending outside of teaching their younger generation. And the other half of the prisoners here were too young to truly do much, only beginning their journeys into their element.

Ayaan did not reveal any of his thoughts in his expression, but his eyes gave off a cold hue.

'I have more faces to remember.'

The cold did not bother him and Katara, as they spent their entire lives surrounded by ice caps and frozen rivers. Heck, Ayaan braved blizzards when he hunted in the southern pole. This? It was nothing but a cool breeze in comparison. Plus, being waterbenders, they had a natural resistance to the cold.

These people weren't like that, and he could see it at a glance. Even the hardened warriors he saw were nothing but humans in the face of nature, some doing better than others.

"I assume the little ghosts informed you of the plan," Yon asked, breaking Ayaan from his thoughts. "What are we working with from the outside?"

"Escape path, secured. The base will be secured in three days' time. All that's left is this place and the other prisons along the coast."

Yon's feral grin returned, "Excellent."

"Do you have the coal location?" He asked.

"Damn right I do. I have for months now." Yon grumbled. "They didn't do that great a job of hiding it. No, they were deliberately flaunting it just to tease the earthbenders. Sick fucks."

"Coal?" Katara spoke up, as this was her first time hearing about it. "There is earth here?"

"Yes, Katara. This place is powered by coal. We get that, the benders here will have a viable weapon."

Katara whipped around to the older man sitting with them, "Tyro, you can fight! There is a way you guys can fight back!"

Ayaan frowned, "It isn't that simple."

"O-oh..." Katara wisely decided to be quiet. She could tell that he was still very much upset with her. That look in his eyes... he was replanning their training (torture) again, as he had after Omashu.

She sent her prayers up to the spirits right then, she knew she was not making it through.

"That..." Tyro, who decided to sit with them, was stunned. It was his first time hearing of such a plan. "This is what you've been up to every time you antagonized the warden, Lady Yon?"

"Damn right I was. You thought I was just going to sit in this shit hole like some docile flower?" If possible, Yon grimaced at the thought. "Fuck that."