Book 1: Water | 31 | Differing Opinions

Since Haru's mother doesn't have a specified name, I gave her the name "Hala". Also, I just came up with the earth kingdom currency system, I'm not sure if it's accurate or not.

Just a note, check out my other story "Error" if you can, I would like y'alls opinion on it.

Check out my Insta, @ musiclover_j101 for more art and maybe even hints to future plot points! Also, make sure to check the poll every now and then.

Now on to the story!

-Jenna

Ayaan decided not to pay any heed to the chaos his siblings were causing by asking the poor boy questions. He'd already gotten the gists of the situation just by looking around as they were walking here. It was the reason he was so on edge.

The fire nation was rooted deeply in this village. More than likely, it was the same for the other neighboring villages. It was oppression at its finest. By taking all of their strong men and women, the village is left with nothing but the young and weak, which were easily handled and enslaved.

It was no wonder his scar was aching with that awfully bad vibe. He had to take a breath to ease his anger. Now wasn't the time to act, no matter how much he wanted to spear every fire nation scum he saw. A plan needed to be made and to form a solid plan, information was needed.

"Why'd you run away before?" He heard Katara ask, still miffed about that fact.

"Uh," The young man stammered, trying to find a workable excuse, "You must have me confused with some other kid." He said. Ayaan raised an eyebrow at his poor word choice but said nothing. This kid must usually be an obedient child; he is not good at lying.

Aang chose this moment to come up, defending Katara's claim of seeing him, "No, she isn't. We saw you earthbending."

That single word was like lightning striking down. The mother, who had been quietly and curiously observing them frantically ran from behind the reception desk. With practiced swiftness, she closed the blinds covering her windows and shut the store entrance. Keeping up that same speed, she whipped her head around to her son, "They saw you doing what?!"

Her son quickly tried to deny their claims, "They're crazy, Mom! I mean, look at how they're dressed."

The group immediately felt self-conscious at that comment. Of course, they knew that what they wore wasn't typical Earth Kingdom attire, they weren't from there, after all. Aang had at least gotten himself a conical hat, which he was currently shifting about in confusion at the boy's comments. Their clothes were a bit worn and torn, but they didn't smell thanks to their diligent upkeep of their chores and hygiene.

Ayaan often took it upon himself to clean the clothes, as foreign smells tend to ward off animals with sensitive noses. It was to the point he'd even heard comments that he carried the scent of a clean, fresh spring of water.

Ayaan couldn't care less about people's opinions of him. If they weren't his family, their insults, taunts, and threats meant nothing to him. Though, he did not take kindly to others belittling his siblings, "The Earth Kingdom is not the only nation in the world." He bluntly stated, "You should work on your lying, you are not good at it."

The kid at least had the decency to look embarrassed after being called out. This, however, became pure shame again when his mother jumped into the mix, "You know how dangerous that is! You know what would happen if they caught you earthbending!" She said.