Book 1: Water | 42 | Liberation III

Revamped some old art of mine. Look at the improvement!

Everyone watched as Yon decimated the firebenders around her. Her strong legs kicked into the air, sending the molten rock blades at her assailants. She used her created blades in tandem with her earthbending, her enemies not sure what they'd be hit with next. Those that thought getting in close would help them quickly remembered that Yon was a ruthless warrior before she was a bender.

"Wow..." Katara couldn't tear her eyes away from the display. Yon personified everything she wanted to be. Strong, confident, a bender so in their element that nothing could touch them with it there. And even without it, they could never be underestimated.

"Yon is... amazing!" She gushed. "Did you see that, Ay—Ayaan?!"

"We are ending this now."

Ayaan rushed in, not wasting a single minute admiring Yon's talent. He rode on the rivers of rock blasting toward the fire nation soldiers, flipping into the fray with a nimble balance. Immediately, his spear spun, each twirl abruptly ending with a crack through the air that precisely aimed for the most vulnerable parts of their armor.

It was a violent yet graceful display, that almost resembled...

'Waterbending...?'

Katara didn't understand why, but it felt like Ayaan was waterbending without water. The spear was his ocean, his entire body was his guide. It brought her back to when he'd been practicing in the river, where the water followed him while he performed the familiar movements of his spear.

'Yon isn't the only one that's amazing...'

They stood together amid a sea of soldiers, Ayaan with his spear at the ready, and Yon in her bending stance. They were a blur of movement, working in tandem with each other. When he'd block, she attacked, and when he attacked, she blocked for him. An unstoppable duo was created within moments as if they'd spent their lives fighting together.

"Nice reflexes, kid!" Yon yelled, taking out yet another soldier.

"You, too." He responded, doing the same.

It was so different from how he was used to fighting. To have someone so... dependable on his side was nice. Sure, his siblings were getting stronger by the day, but he still worried about them. With Yon, he didn't have to constantly check on her, and Yon didn't have to keep tabs on him, either. There was a silent, mutual trust between them that made their teamwork almost seamless.

'When was the last time I could depend on someone like this?'

"RAHHH!!" The earth benders rallied together even more. Triumphant battle cries filled the air as early morning melted into midday. The prisoners were forces of nature that the guards could no longer contain. They were beasts made in stone, coming together to form an unshakable mountain.

"That's my dad!" One of the children bellowed.

"My mom's amazing! Look at her go!"

"Wow." A boy gawked, "I didn't think Grandpa had it in him. He was always complaining about his joints!"

"Well, Gramps has taken at least five guards' kneecaps. I think their joints are hurting more than his." A girl, most likely his sister, added.

"Think he'll teach us that when we get bigger?" He asked her, earning a vicious little grin from his sister.

"He will not have a choice." Now both of the children were grinning like evil little gremlins.

"Ugh..." Their grandfather felt a shiver, immediately feeling irritated with his old body. "Damn these stupid joints! Damn this place! And! Damn!" He launched coal like a missile at the approaching guards, "YOU BASTARD MOTHERFUCKERS!"