Book 1: Water | 46 | "I'll always listen."

Art By Me! I thought I'd revamp Kyoshi Ayaan since my style has improved a bit!

.

•───────•⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☾☼☽∘∙⊱⋅•⋅•───────•

.

Sokka, on very rare occasions, wakes up earlier than the rest.

Sokka, on very rare occasions, is so absolutely focused on something, he gets tunnel vision for that single issue until it's resolved.

And Sokka, on the most extremely rare instance, is both of those right now as he heads directly for Ayaan, who is sitting by the river once again upon awakening.

"Ayaan." The moment his brother heard him, he gave him a glance. The subtle crease in his brow meant that he heard his tone, and the locked gaze meant he had all of his attention.

Ayaan's gestures was something Sokka had taken his time to study, especially on this journey. Every day he could tell something new about his brother, a hidden truth that spoke volumes about how much he cared for them.

He was strong when they were scared, steady when they were uncertain, and a constant place of reassurance. Sokka knew that he could trust him to be there when he could, always and forever.

But trust was a two-way street, wasn't it?

It was time for his brother to understand that.

"On the rig, I told you we needed to talk, remember?"

He sat by Ayaan, a rare maturity one didn't often see in regard to the older boy in every movement. Despite his goofy and sarcastic nature, when a serious matter came around, Sokka always rose to face it. Well, when he wasn't nervous, but even then he'd do his best.

So Ayaan waited patiently for him to continue, as he always did. He didn't look away, making sure that Sokka knew that he had his full attention.

Ayaan had noticed that Sokka had been watching him more fervently since the rig, no, he'd been keeping an eye on him since long before that. But the moment he wanted to say something, he would hesitate, as if not knowing what exactly to say.

He wanted to put his thoughts into words properly, Ayaan could sense that. So, he waited, for as long as he needed to. Ayaan was a patient young man.

Sokka was quiet for a moment. The older could see all of the different emotions flashing across his blue eyes. He thought he was ready for whatever his little brother was about to say, but when he finally does ask his question, he's left reeling.

"Are you okay?"

It was something so simple. It was supposed to be such a simple question to answer.

So why did it leave him feeling gutted?

The lack of an answer was all that Sokka needed to confirm everything. He sighed, trying to handle the amount of pain the confirmation brought him. "I'm so sorry." He said, looking just as ashamed as he felt.

It alarmed Ayaan a bit more than his question had, "Why are you sorry?"

"For my entire life, I looked up to you. You are this amazing, steadfast warrior I've always aspired to be like." He began, gathering every thought he'd been trying to find a way to express.

"But before you're my idol, you're my brother." He turned his whole body to Ayaan, looking him straight in the eyes, "Before you're a warrior, you're human." He looked down, downcast as he let his words flow out. "And for a long time now, I've seemed to have lost track of that fact because of how amazing you always are for us. For that, I couldn't be more sorry."