Book 1: Water | 12 | The Southern Air Temple II

"So, where do I get something to eat?" Sokka said. The bags beneath his eyes were obvious and his black hole of a stomach was clearly protesting at the fact it wasn't stuffed. He looked to Ayaan, hoping he had more, but the older boy waved his empty bag as his answer. The crumbs blew away in the wind, and Sokka's shoulders slumped in defeat.

"You're lucky enough to be one of the first outsiders to ever visit an airbender temple, and all you can think about is food?" Katara commented, clearly a bit irritated by her second eldest brother.

Ayaan tilted his head a bit, clearly a bit confused by the comment. "You thought he would think of something else? He's Sokka."

"Yes." Katara could only shake her head as she agreed, "He is indeed Sokka."

"What does me being me have to do with wanting food?!"

"Everything." Both of his siblings replied immediately, a dead-pan expression on their faces. Sokka wasn't Sokka if he didn't speak about food; If they had their bending, he had his appetite.

Sokka shrugs off their comment, not being able to deny their accusation nor feeling the need to. "I'm just a simple guy, with simple needs." He said without any shame.

They make their way around the corner, reaching a plateau of sorts where they see Aang waiting for them with excitement coursing through his entire being. Aang points to a stadium-like place that had many tall, thick polls. They seemed big and sturdy enough for someone to stand on, with post on each side that seemed to spin. Ayaan looked upon it with interest as Aang began to explain what it was.

"So that's where my friends and I would play airball," He states, clearly remembering the fun he had there. He pointed to another place that seemed to be a more open structure, "And over there is where the bison would sleep, and..." He sighs as he gets to the end, not finishing his statement.

"What's wrong?" Katara asks, clearly noticing his change in mood. Ayaan was silent, as he knew that this moment would come. It was something that Aang had to see for himself, as he'd stated before.

He sighs sadly, "This place used to be full of monks and lemurs and bison. Now there's just a bunch of weeds."

He stands alone, a breeze flits through his clothes as he looks on. Through his eyes, many memories replayed. Memories of his friends and his home, all of the things that used to be normal for him to see everyday. The sounds, the sights, the smell and touch, for him, all of it was just a few days ago. It was so deep in his memory, but now, it was only that. A memory. One that now that he was home, felt so very far away.

"I can't believe how much things have changed."

The trio remained silent, unsure of what to say to comfort their friend. Ayaan and Sokka gave each other a look, being older brothers themselves, this was their area of expertise. Ayaan went up to the boy first.

"Tell me, what is 'Airball'?" Ayaan asked, genuinely curious.

"Yeah, how do you play?" Sokka followed seamlessly.

Katara smiled knowingly at her brothers as she saw Aang's face clear up, his mind successfully distracted from the sadness he was feeling. He happily began explaining the game, the group making their way to the Airball stadium to attempt to play.

The young airbender held a ball in his hand, it was made of hollow, lightweight wood with the sides slotted. It seemed to easily glide through the air, and when Aang used airbending to hold it, it put up little to no resistance. But it was still very sturdy, able to take the abuse upon it which the game required.

Aang explained excitedly. "The goal of the game is simple. You see the post on either side of the court? You have to get this ball through one of them to get points depending on which side your on. The thing that makes it more tricky is that you'll be standing on those poles while also defending your goal and ricocheting the ball through them. It's all about balance!"