Book 1: Water | 9 | The Avatar Returns II

Art drawn by me!

Just a small note by me. The chapters should be coming normally now, or at least more normal than they were. About every two weeks or a bit earlier, since I do not have a set schedule for this series.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Author,

-Jenna

Getting Appa to fly was not all that difficult. Although it took a bit for the trio to jog their memory of Aang's special command, they did manage to remember it and the bison took off to the sky.

"He's flying! He's flying! Katara! Ayaan! He's—" Sokka stops his exited rant when he saw his little sister's 'I told you so' smile. He was about to try to be cool and shrug it off and both of them say the look on Ayaan's face. It stopped all thoughts they had at the moment.

He was smiling brightly, almost similar to Sokka's excitement but much quieter. There was a sparkle in his eyes as they made it passed the clouds, taking in an entirely new perspective of the gradually setting sun. They dived a bit lower, a small black dot on the horizon which they were sure was the fire navy ship.

He looked to his younger siblings, "We're flying. We're in the sky." Ayaan was not shy about his amazement. Katara and Sokka couldn't help but smile at the sight. It had been a very long time since they had seen him smile like that. "Appa, you are amazing. A wondrous bison you are."

Appa roared happily at the praise and let out a rumbling growl at the feeling of Ayaan petting his fur again. He enjoyed the feeling immensely, and Ayaan's constant praises gave him motivation to fly a bit faster.

It was Sokka and Katara's first time truly seeing Ayaan interact with Appa, and they could tell that the two were fond of each other. How they were so close, they had no clue, but they were happy that Ayaan was happy. The rest of the ride was silent as they took in the fact that yes, they were indeed flying through the sky, and would most likely use this as their main mode of travel from then on.

They looked forward to this journey even more. When they got to the ship, however, their elation was halted.

Aang was battling against Zuko, defending against his never ending torrent of fire blast attacks. He was spinning his staff to create a air shield just like he had in the village, but he was caught off guard by the power behind the last and loses it. Forced to dodge, he ends up at the end of the ship.

A final blast of furious fire was all that was needed to send him overboard and into the freezing, icy waters.

"Aang! No!" Katara cried, horrified at the sight. Sokka was silent, but an equal amount of horror could be seen in his eyes.

"No!" Ayaan clutched Appa's reigns, about to guide Appa down to the ship so that he could wreak havoc on the evil ship below, when he saw something glowing in the water. It did not take long for his confusion to become amazement when Aang, in that glowing state from before, rose from the depths surrounded by a swirling vortex of water.

He landed back on the ship with ease and took care of the firebenders surrounding him in seconds, leaving the three siblings shocked and amazed.

"Did you see what he just did?!"

"Now that was some waterbending!"

Ayaan nodded, agreeing with their exclamations. He guides Appa down as he sees Aang crumble to the floor of the deck, exhausted. His eyes and tattoos were no longer glowing. Within seconds they were there, sliding off of Appa to get to their friend.