Book 1: Water | 54 | The Scroll V

The scene that Ayaan came upon was chaotic.

'I thought that the fire nation and the pirates were working together. That's the only way they would have found us that quickly that makes sense.'

But what he saw was the opposite. There was smoke everywhere, the clashing of swords and fists echoing across the sandy field. Men in armor blasted flames, only for them to be blocked, dodged, and parried by the pirates. As far as numbers and strength, they seemed even, which made their battle stall.

All Ayaan cared about was the fact his siblings weren't there. That was both a good and bad thing. If they weren't there, where were they?

"I hear them nearby," Wǔ stated. He hadn't needed to speak loudly since Ayaan was riding on Mei with him.

"Are they in any immediate danger?"

"At the moment I don't believe so. They are calling for you, My Lord."

"Look, look!" Qī's eyes were locked to the north, following something clearly, "They're by a boat! Looks like they secured an escape plan!" Chen leaped from the water, getting in front of his sisters at the behest of his rider, "Come on, follow me!"

They did, and it wasn't long before they could see them. Ayaan let out a sigh of relief when he could see Aang, Katara, and Sokka together and safe.

They were calling out for him. They were worried about him. Normally, that would make him feel warm and happy, knowing that they cared. But right now? It was a blow to him, who was supposed to be protecting them.

They were calling and looking for him. They shouldn't have had to. He was supposed to stay right with them, at all times, keeping them safe. But he couldn't dwell on that now. He'd trained them for things like this, and from the looks of it, they did well.

So while he was angry at himself, he was proud of them. Immensely so.

"Ayaan?! Can you hear me?!"

"Where are you, bro?!"

"Ayaan!?"

They were trying to secure a way to escape, but they couldn't take it without him. They wouldn't take it without him. If they had to, they'd run back into the forest to search for him, pirates and fire nation be damned.

Sokka refused even to entertain the idea, calling for his brother again, "Ayaa--!"

"I'm here."

"AHGDHJSDHF!" Sokka fell flat on his behind at the obvious predator suddenly leaping from the river in front of him with his brother on top of it. He was scared out of his wits before all three of them were overwhelmed with relief.

"Ayaan!" The trio jumped on him in the biggest hug ever, even letting some tears escape them. Before he could blink he was under a pile of siblings.

"I'm so sorry!" Katara practically yelled. "This is all my fault. I-I've been terrible, and I-"

Ayaan simply hugged her tighter, giving her a tired, but genuine smile. "I haven't been great, either." He admitted. He wiped her tears away, "I'm not the best at talking. It's okay, Katara. We'll finish this when it's safer, okay?"

"Okay." There were more hugs given before they all got into the boat. It was only then that they all noticed the trio looking at them in envy.

When would they be close enough to experience the glory of their lord's hugs? No! They were loyal servants, they should not dream of such things.

But their lord's hugs were medicine for the soul.

It was so envious.

"Uh... hi?"