Book 1: Water | 36 | It's Always the Quiet One

Doodles by me! Sorry for the delay! I've been working on original content, a story I hope to be able to actually publish. It's been occupying more of my time than I thought it would, so thank you for being patient!

-Jenna

•───────•⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☾☼☽∘∙⊱⋅•⋅•───────•

When Ayaan re-entered the home, Hala wasn't crying anymore. No, she had lost all energy in her to continue crying. She just sat in her room, lifeless and still.

"Mrs. Hala?"

"Oh," She said, only then noticing him entering the room, "I'm sorry, Lord Ayaan. I didn't notice you came in. D-Did you find your sister?"

"Yes." The older woman flinches a bit at the tight tone in his voice. He noticed, "I'm sorry. I did not mean to scare you. I am just... a bit angry at the moment."

He was more than a 'bit' angry, even Hala could tell. But she didn't say anything about that thought.

Ayaan came towards her, gently taking her hand for her to walk with him. "Come with me. I would like to show you something."

"Huh?" The tall young man pulled her towards the barn, where an eager Appa was waiting. Upon seeing the watertribe warrior he growled happily, proceeding to lick him as he always did. The sight brought a small smile back to her face, growing a little wider when the boy seemed both disgusted and delighted as he waterbended the saliva off of him.

Momo wasn't one to be left out of the love. He flew down from Appa's head to his favorite spot, Ayaan's shoulders. Wrapping around his neck securely, he proceeded to nuzzle into Ayaan's cheek, purring as he did.

"They seem to love you quite a lot," Hala said, her eyes softening at the sight.

"Yes." He answered, giving them their deserved pats before remembering his reason for being here. "Come on. We have to fly to where I'm taking you."

Uncertainty returned as he led her to the bison's saddle. "I-I'm not too sure about this..."

"He will not harm you. I promise. Appa is a good boy." The bison roared at the praise. The lemur, feeling indignant, gave Ayaan licks on his face. The teen smiled a little wider, "And so are you, Momo."

Seeing such affection from the animals eased a bit of her heartache, and the small, but warm smile on his face told her he loved them just as much. He helped her into it with ease, making his way to the reigns once she was settled. Turning to face the front, he gives Appa his command and they take off, much to Hala's surprise.

Without looking back, he explained a little more, "I wish to show you that trusting in me... was not the wrong decision."

Her eyes widened. She knew that Ayaan was one of the most trustworthy people she would ever meet. She wanted to tell him that deep down, this incident was bound to happen one day. She didn't blame him or his family for it. She wanted to explain that her son and her people all trusted in him, that he'd proven himself too many times for them not to.

Training them, giving them hope, protecting them from the rogues that would bother them from time to time, helping their economy in secret (though they all knew that it was this honorable young lord)... there was no one more trustworthy than him.

Truly, he was a light that came into their lives.

But there was an emotion in his voice that she couldn't place. Whatever it was, it was heavy, too heavy for someone so young to bear. It left her unable to voice her thoughts, feeling that she needed to let him do this.