Book 1: Water | 7 | The Journey Begins

'Well, damn.'

For that moment, that was all Ayaan's mind could think. He knew that something was off about Aang, that he was hiding something from them. But never, in all of his years, did he think it would be that.

Ayaan did not have the words. The Avatar, the person that the world hoped would return and finally end the war, was in fact a twelve year old child with fun on the brain.

'Are we good or are we screwed?'

He didn't have time to answer the thought.

In the confusion, Aang and Prince Zuko were now in a face off. They were circling each other carefully, not letting either out of their sights. "I've spent years preparing for this encounter. Training, meditating." He said, not looking away from Aang. One was able to see the furious glare growing on his face for miles. "You're just a child!"

Aang, however, was just confused as to what his problem was. "Well, you're just a teenager."

Ayaan suppressed the urge to smile just a bit. He nodded to himself in silent approval.

'Yeah, I think we're good.'

Right now, he was dealing with the other soldiers, who had surrounded him while that was going on. Sokka wanted to help him, but Ayaan signaled for him not to come. Katara was the same, but in the mess she was helping Gran-Gran who was visibly shaken up by the recent happenings.

Right now, he was on his own. But his opponents were nothing but small fry. He put his free hand back on his spear, using the same move he did with the prince. They were trying to keep their distance from him, still remembering how easily he'd taken them out before even without his weapon. After surrounding him, they finally charged.

"RAAHHH!"

"HAHH!"

They ran with all of their might, firebending at the ready. This time though, Ayaan remained calm. He stuck his spinning spear in the ground, cracking the ice with the force and pushed himself into the air away from the flames. One hand on the butt of his spear for balance, he reach his other hand down and firmly grabbed on. With a powerful sweep, he blasted on of the incoming firebenders with snow.

As his momentum went downward he used his strong legs to kick the other two. Despite his size, he was flexible. The quick motion of his hand and the tightening of his fist, something he had done many times before, the ones covered in snow were quickly unable to move. Their eyes widened at the fact that they were facing not only an strong warrior, but a waterbender on top of that.

He landed on the ground, having taken down three in only a few moments.

Only one was left, and he was standing with his mouth figuratively agape beneath his helmet. How had they just been taken down like that? Again? Unbeknownst to him, Ayaan was just as confused.

He remembered how one sided his last battle was. He remembered how the twelve year old him, no matter how hard he fought, could not overcome the wall that was shaped in the visage of that horrible fire nation soldier. And this was officially his first battle with firebenders since that day, but—

"You're so... weak?"

He was genuinely confused.

The firebender didn't take kindly to being called weak, apparently, and foolishly charged at him. Ayaan sighed. He raised his spear with the blunt side forward, and the moment the soldier came within range he slapped him with it. Left, Right, then he went full low swing, knocking the enemy clear off his feet.

He did this with the most bored expression his family had ever seen him wear. It rivaled Gran-Gran and that was saying something. But underneath this veil of boredom was a growing irritation.