Chapter 28

Matthew Tkachuk POV

"I want all of you, forever, you and me, every day." — The Notebook

          Hailey gets up from the table at this burger restaurant and tells her parents and I , she's headed to the bathroom

     Hailey gets up from the table at this burger restaurant and tells her parents and I , she's headed to the bathroom . I've been needing to get her parents alone all night . But a drunk Hailey is a very clingy Hailey , I usually love when's drunk but tonight I need to do something and I only have a small time window .

     " I actually needed to speak with you both, I know that this is probably going to sound crazy cause we've only actually been together for like two months but , I'm here to ask for your blessing in proposing to Hailey ."

    " wow I honestly didn't expect that , but I'm not surprised at all . We've all known for a while you to were meant for each other ." Ellen says and then looks to Jim. " do you remember what I told you when you to got married as kids ." Jim says with a laugh . I can't help but laughing myself .

   " you said Hailey is a strong willed , sassy. , stubborn and independent little girl and that would only intensify when she grew up . You told me it was my job not to hold her down but lift her up , support her dreams and ambitions but all be prepared for the rollercoaster of a life time I'd be on when I became her husband. You then threatened to kneecap me if I ever made her cry ."

    All three of us laugh at Jim threatening me as a kid , " I had a feeling back than that the wedding that day was only a preview to the real thing . You had my blessing that day and you have it now . " Jim says smiling at me " mine as well , I'm so happy for you both ." I smile and nod but don't reply as I notice Hailey approaching the table .

     " I'm gonna miss you Matty " Hailey says as we kiss goodbye for the next week . When I get back to Miami we'll be throwing the Christmas party for the team .
" I'll miss you too , I have to go baby . I love you ."  I kiss her once more before jumping on the bus .

      We got into St. Louis late last night and coach gave us the day off , tomorrow we'll have practice and the day after is our game against the St. Louis blues . I'm meeting up with my parents for lunch, I need help with picking out a ring . I'm hoping mom can help me navigate the whole diamond ring shopping and well dads done this before so maybe he'll have advice .

      " hi mom " " ugh Matt I've missed you so much ." Mom squeezes me in a tight hug , and dad does the same while patting me on the back . " how are things in Miami?" Dad asks after we sit down and our waiter takes our orders .

    " great , I love it there even more than last season . Hailey and her cats moved in a couple weeks ago ." Mom squeals " ah I'm so happy for you both ." We spend the rest of the lunch catching up  on everything and discussing Christmas plans . I know my parents are really exited for all of us kids to be coming home this year .

     " um so there was another reason I wanted you to meet with me for lunch " " yeah sweetie , is everything ok?" I shake my head with a smile " everything is perfect , which is why I want to propose ." Mom squeaks again and dad laughs " I'm happy for you , I'm honestly not surprised." Dad says and mom agrees.

     " I have an appointment with a jeweler , can you come with me ?"" Of course sweetie ." Mom says and The three of us drive off in dads car , " when are you planning to propose? Do you need help , Do you have a plan....." mom asks just about a million questions in about thirty seconds causing both dad and I to break out in laughter .

     " I actually bought a house a few weeks after we got together, here in St. Louis . I'm hoping we'll live there during the off season while also spending time in Michigan. I had it renovated , it's actually kinda her dream house . We'll it was when we were kids . It's two blocks from your house .

    When she was here for visits we would always ride by  it on our bikes and she would talk about living there and what she would change .  Hell one time we even snuck in when the place was between owners . We used to joke that if hockey didn't work out for me and our deal to marry each other later on was in effect she'd buy the house for us cause she was definitely gonna have to be my sugar mama . Apparently I have no other job skills than hockey so she was generously going to be the breadwinner . "

    Mom and dad are both dying of laughter,
" anyways the house will be finished next week , I'm gonna surprise her on Christmas in the afternoon, one of my friends wives is a photographer who agreed to film it and photograph it for us . I'm also hoping Taryn and Emma will help me set up the proposal in the living room ."

    " aw Matt that sounds so romantic." Mom says with a dopey smile on her face " who knew he had it in him ." Dad jokes . I never through I was romantic, but for Hailey I'll do anything to show her how much she means to me .

   We've been here at the jewelry stoop for about forty minutes looking at different types of rings

   We've been here at the jewelry stoop for about forty minutes looking at different types of rings . I honestly didn't know there was so many different shapes or designs of rings . I haven't found one yet that just screams Hailey . I know for a fact she prefers gold over platinum but that's about it .

    I finally decided to just text Poppy and Rue and see if they knew a specific shape she'd like . After telling them what I'm doing they started freaking out , then promptly sent me about ten different pictures of rings from Hailey Pinterest account , cause apparently she has one of those ? .

      Jesus I should have just asked those two before I spent close to an hour looking at rings she'd probably hate . Based on the pictures Hailey prefers a more simple but elegant ring and the diamond in the shape of an oval . That's what the jeweler said after i showed them the pictures .

    I eventually decided to just design a ring instead of buying . After a thirty minute process the jeweler and I came up with the perfect ring for Hailey . I can't wait for her to see it , I made sure the ring would be ready for Christmas. I can't wait to make her my wife , to spend the rest of my life with her by my side.