Chapter 4

"Love takes off the masks we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. " ( James Baldwin)

                         Matthew Tkachuk POV

                         Matthew Tkachuk POV

         I woke up confused at where I am and the slight weight on my chest . I look down and see my little mouse laying on me asleep and the events of last night come back to me. I guess we must of fell sleep on the couch last night .

      Looking down at Hailey as she sleeps reminds me of when we were younger  . When I was younger our families and friends use to chirp me endlessly about how soft I was around her . They all would say I'm not like this with Taryn my little sister and  well yeah I've never looked at Hailey as my sister . She's always been My little Mouse.

      A little while later after I spent most of that time watching her sleep and not in a creepy way , she woke up and we decided to go to lunch but first she need to shower and change , so she left me to look around her apartment. I walked over to the shelf  seeing a bunch of different framed photos.

      One of the photos was of her and her twin Jack at the draft . She had one of her and Quinn that looks like  it was taken in downtown Vancouver. Another one was her and Luke after he made his NHL debut.

       There was some when the Hughes were kids some with our mutual friends and even one of me and her on the day we got married when we were kids . That memory is one of my favorites , she was so sassy that day .

     When we were up in the tree house having a slice of cake by our selves after the ceremony, everyone else was down below dancing or eating cake . While up in that tree house Hailey and I made a pact to get married for real when we were thirty .

      I never really looked at Hailey that way when we were younger probably mostly due to our age difference I always just had her in a box that was unattainable , but when I thought of my future I always pictured my little mouse , most of the time subconsciously.

      Sitting in the apartment of the 22 year old Hailey. It feels like theirs a crack in that box I made . Who knows the way I'm feeling right now will probably go away in a few weeks of her being back in my life .

       After breakfast little mouse dropped me off at my house . I tried to get her to come in but apparently she had an appointment. So she promised she'll come back for dinner . I walk up the few steps to my front door and instantly remember my family's inside and I didn't come home last night .

      Please don't let this be awkward . Knowing Brady he'll make it awkward. I shake my head and enter the front door I don't even make it a full step inside before Brady's yelling " look the whores home " . I hear a slapping sound and Brady winning. My dad probably slapped the back of his head .

     " really with us all here ?" My dad says unimpressed. "leave him alone Keith he's an adult  I just how you were safe and smart . " my mom says before I can reply.  " I was married with a kid and half at his age " " shush " my mom reply's putting her hand over dads mouth .  I shake my head and make it into the kitchen where they're all hanging out .