Chapter 17

"We're all a little weird, and life's a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it LOVE." — Dr. Seuss

                            Matthew Tkachuk POV

                      Matthew Tkachuk POV

     It's been a couple days since the Halloween party . The team and I are still on the road . I can't believe I kissed Hailey . She's been ignoring me ever since . When I got back to my room that night after having to help one of my teammates light the fire pit , she was gone leaving a note behind saying she had to be up early for work and that she'd text me .

      She hasn't though . No text no calls not even a smoke signal. I'm trying to focus on the games just so I don't keep thinking about how I've completely lost her again . That kiss, god that kiss was incredible . I want to do it again and again . Apparently drunk me has bigger balls than sober me .

             Drunk me also didn't think about the consequences when he kissed Hailey . I've been so distracted during the games . I've played like crap and everyone has noticed. My teammates, my coaches , the media and my dad . I've been dodging his calls though .

           Tonight though , tonight was bad very very bad . So bad in fact I was benched during the third period. My coach gave me an ear full after the game to basically get my shit together.  I need to talk to Hailey but she just won't answer me and the unknown is killing me .

         I'm in my hotel room in Chicago alone having a one man pity party for myself . I keep replaying the night over and over in my head . I love Hailey with all my heart I want nothing more than to be with her forever. I want to marry her have kids grow old and wrinkly . Just like my parents, the love between them has been what I grew up to one day want myself.

       I can't imagine a future for myself without Hailey being by my side . The problem is I know Hailey doesn't feel like that for me . She sees me as her best friend and only that . It's only ever been a friendship between us .

        In the middle of my inner monologue a knock sounded on my hotel door . I got up to answer the door, on the other side stood Mackie . " hi uhm can we talk " " ugh yeah sure come in " I open the door wider for Mackie to walk through.

          " so what's up Mack" " we'll you've been playing like shit .. I uhm mean distracted . So what's going on " Mackie shifts awkwardly waiting for me to answer. Since training camp Mackie and I have gotten closer and developed a friendship.

         " I'm fine , we all go through ruts." " no I think this is something other then a rut , listen Matt you can talk to me I won't judge and I won't tell anyone either " after debating it for a minute I just decided to confess. Maybe this will help take the giant weight off my shoulders.

      " at the Halloween party Hailey and I both got really drunk " " as did everyone else there " I nod
" yeah it was a great party Hailey did a great job , anyway somehow we both ended up in my room . Next thing I remember I'm kissing her up against the door.