Chapter 26: Desmond

Finishing my dinner, I dismiss Hazel and Matthius. Leo was a no show. Probably for the best. I didn't exactly want to see him either. Carrying my plate to the kitchen, I wash it and put it away. If I had seen him, I might have ripped into him.

His words to Davina echo in my head. The hurt look on her face made me want to trounce him. How dare he hurt her like that. I get that he's angry about Samael's return, we all are, but that's no reason to lash out at Davina or anyone. Davina didn't even do anything to him. From what Hazel and Matthius told me, she wanted Leo to try on his new suit but he refused. Hazel insisted and Leo snapped about the fact that Davina kept the room a secret from him. And then it escalated from there.

His words about how I should already get with Davina, come back to me. Perhaps I am starting to develop feelings for her. However, she has made it clear that does not want to marry.

Sighing, I reach my room. Slipping off my jacket, I take off anything too fancy. It's just a walk around the garden.

Making sure I have my sword, I walk out of my room and down the hall towards Davina's room. Reaching it, I knock. A few seconds later, she opens the door. She rubs her eyes and I smile.

"Sorry," she says. "I must have slept longer than I thought."

Concern fills me that she may not have eaten dinner.

"And before you ask, I ate a late lunch, so I'm not hungry," she says as she steps out of her room. She closes the doors behind her. She smiles up at me, albeit a little sleepily. "Now, shall we head to the gardens."
I smile and extend the crook of my arm out to her. She takes it and I lead us down the hallway. I see her holding a sketchbook and chalk. I arch a brow at her.

"In case I get a burst of inspiration," she says and shrugs. I chuckle and we head down a few hallways before reaching clear doors, with golden designs. Pushing open the doors, I lead her out, and close the doors behind us.

Walking down the pathway, she looks around with wide eyes, and a bright smile on her face. I give a warm smile at her bright eyed expression. The garden is filled to the brim with various flowers and plants. We pass by a fountain, pouring out crystal clear water. Pointing out some flowers to her, a cool breeze flows past us, tousling her hair. I note that it's in a low ponytail. Her clothing is slightly rumpled and I see some dark circles under her eyes. I'll need to make sure she gets more sleep and doesn't stay up so late sewing. Or doing research.

Davina continues to look around, excitement and interest in her eyes. Seeing some bright, red roses up ahead, she rushes over to them. I give an amused smile and walk over. She opens her sketchbook and begins to sketch out a design.

Looking down at the design, I see that it's a floor length gown with a petal-like skirt and bodice. I smile and tap her on the shoulder. She looks up at me and I hold out my hand. She gives me a quizzical look.

"There's a bench over there," I say and point to it. She nods and takes my hand. Helping her to her feet, we head over to the bench and sit down. She continues sketching out the dress, adding more details to it.

"Is that going to be your next design?" I ask and she turns to me.

She shrugs.

"Maybe," she says. "Not sure what I would use the dress for."

I smile and she pulls back slightly from her journal, examining the design so far.

"What have you designed so far?" I ask and she grins. She turns back to the front and flips through it. I see various dresses and suits she's designed. "These are really good."