Chapter 18: Desmond

Adjusting the cape of my suit, I square my shoulders and look at myself in the mirror. I'm wearing a green, three piece suit, with a dark green cape that belonged to my mother. I've given this speech plenty of times before. I'll do just fine. I wish I could do one more check up on the defenses, but Giddeon has assured me that the defenses are well in place and activated. Right now, I just need to get through this speech.

My thoughts turn back to Davina. I want to be able to show her what a festival is like since she's never been to one before her. Her comment about her family washing their hands of her comes back to me. Did her family neglect her? Abuse her? Abandon her? However, given the tone she used when she said it was a long story, it indicated she hadn't wanted to talk about it at that moment. Perhaps she may open up soon. I know almost nothing about her, other than she likes sewing, she's what she calls, Scottish, and she doesn't have a close connection with her family.

Making sure my suit is well adjusted, I grab my crown and carefully place it on the top of my head. Adjusting it, I square my shoulders and head out of my room. Going down the hallway, I see my siblings up ahead near the exit.

"Are you all ready?" I ask as I take them all in. Hazel is wearing a long sleeve, magenta pink dress, which is fancier than some of her other dresses. The same could be said for Leo and Matthius.

"Yes," Hazel says and grins. I can practically feel the excitement radiating off her. I smile and the guards come. They escort us out of the castle and down the road towards the village. Seeing the large stage up ahead, I begin to look around. I see colorful banners hanging across one pole to the next. The square has an area for the musicians to play in and it's been cleared away so that all the village could dance. Off to the side, I see the market has also been decorated and I see new booths set up. There's an area to eat and a show area. Everything looks to be in place for today.

Turning back to the large stage in front of me, I see four thrones on it. Each one with different color cushioning. Leo sits down first as we reach the stage, in the one with orange cushioning. Matthius is next, in the blue one. Then Hazel in the magenta. And I am in the green one.

As I stare out at the villagers gathering, I find myself searching for Davina. Hazel said she got some friends from the village to help out Davina since this is Davina's first time in the village. I stall. I should have shown her around the village beforehand. I'll need to rectify that.

Giddeon appears with his wife and they both grin. I smile at both of them, before turning back to the large crowd before me. They are loudly chattering and laughing. I don't see Davina though. I lean towards Hazel.

"Did you make sure Davina found your friends?" I ask.

"Oh, worried, are we?" she asks and grins. I roll my eyes.

"She's my guest," I say. "And I want to make sure she doesn't get lost."

She chuckles.

"Just a guest, sure," she says. "But yes. I did make sure she found my friends. They should be here soon."

Nodding, I turn back to facing the front. Giddeon gives me the signal and I stand. Walking towards the front, I look over the crowd once more. My eyes snag on Davina, who's looking around. Good. At least she got her safely.

"Welcome everyone!" I exclaim and my voice booms across the village. Thanks to Giddeon. They begin to quiet down. Davina turns to the front and my breath catches. She's wearing a light pink, knee length dress, with quarter length sleeves. She has on a brown stay with straps going over her shoulders. A part of her hair is braided down the side with light pink flowers in it. She beams up at me, green eyes twinkling in the sun. I manage to give a smile back before turning to the rest of the crowd. "Welcome to the six-year anniversary of our victory over Samael."