~Charred Chest Chapter 7- The One Day~

~Chapter 7- That one day~

Razan and Veena were quiet as they traveled. Razan was curious where she was taking him, but the old woman was determined to withhold that information. They traveled to an area dotted with pine trees.

Razan felt a pit in his stomach. Something about the area seemed familiar. But even he wasn't sure what could elicit this type of reaction from him. They came to a fork in the road with a sign. He read 'New Urola' and knew why. They were approaching his childhood home. Predictably, they took the road heading to 'New Urola'.

Razan was getting anxious. He wanted to speak, but knew if he would, weakness would show in his voice. He hadn't been here since the fires. When last he saw his hometown, it was naught but ash.

Thirty-one years ago, a fire had started and caught his whole village ablaze. Razan had left town with his brother and friends not long before. If they had left any later, they would've been caught in the flames with the rest of the village... But he survived.

But why did Veena want to bring him here?

Razan swallowed hard. He was stronger than to let this affect him. He put on a brave face as they entered the pine forest where Urola Village resided.

He was expecting the decayed remains of the village, and instead found an entirely new town built in its place. Homes, shops, a tavern, even a church to the Goddess. Pine needles from the trees covered the ground as they always did. Razan nearly gasped when he saw a building that looked identical to one that was there when he was a kid.

A few of the townsfolk waved to Veena as she entered the town. A man playing a harmonica at the front of his house greeted her, "Hello Veena, how're you doing?"

"Doing well." She said from atop Hopper.

"Did you get a new dog?"

Veena scratched Hopper on the scruff of his neck, "No, but I'm certainly friendly with this dog."

"What brings you back here?" He asked with a smile.

"Just visiting my son."

"Ah. I'll leave you to it."

They traveled through the center of the town, and Razan had a rush of old memories hit him. They clearly modeled the build of this 'New Urola' after the original, it was uncanny.

They passed through the town and came to a secluded area, a cemetery. Razan didn't remember there being a graveyard in Urola when he was a kid.

Veena had Hopper stop at the entrance of the graveyard. "Okay Hopper, I need to get down."

The dog sat, allowing the old woman to comfortably slip off. "Come on, Razan."

Veena headed into the cemetery and Razan hesitantly followed her. Veena didn't pay any mind to the many graves around them. She was heading to the center of the cemetery where several large stone slabs stood.

Razan approached one of the slabs. There were many names inscribed onto it, names he recognized. A few neighbors, kids who lived nearby, one of the shopkeepers from when he was a kid. The top of the slab had a title inscribed on it.

'Never forgotten – Those lost in the fire of Age 960".

Razan immediately stepped away. He didn't want to look at it anymore. He knew if he kept looking, he'd see his own parent's names written somewhere on the slab.... But he couldn't bring himself to find them. It would make it too real for him. Too final.

"Carter." Veena spoke. Razan looked and saw she was pointing to a name on one of the slabs, "That was my son's name. He was thirteen when it happened."

Razan looked at her. "Your son... was here during the fire?"

"We lived here. I was out of town when the fire started... just like you."

"I-I... Sorry." Razan muttered, "How did you know? That I lived here and survived the fire?"

Veena answered, "I didn't recognize you at first, but I remembered you from back then. I figured you were caught in the fire too. But when I realized who you were... it made me sad. You escaped the accident but were spending your life as thief. One of those Sky Bandits. It seemed like such a waste... But it seems like you're trying to be a little better now."

Razan shrugged.

"You know your son thinks the world of you. Whenever he had a chance, he'd mention that you're so strong, and that he respects you so much. Try not to disappoint him, alright Razan?"

Razan swallowed hard as he mustered up the words. Then he chuckled, "You sure know how to guilt trip a guy, don't you?"

Veena simply smiled.

"I can't make up for everything I've already done. But I'll do what I can now."

Those two who had escaped a terrible fate left the graveyard and New Urola. Though they'd been fortunate enough to evade the fire, it changed who they would became profoundly. Through all the hardship they'd been through, they both tried to be better. Razan and Veena left that graveyard, mounted Hopper, and headed back, leaving their old home behind.