thirty

I CLUTCHED his arm as if I am holding my dear life at his mercy. I cautiously took my steps, being extra chary about my dress, thinking I may not stumble and fall on my ass when the place is buzzing with the Elite society. My breathing was heavy which made me gulp down to my throat over and over again.

So, practically these people rented a museum for the Golden Night gala. Beside everything, paintings from world class painters were adorned on the wall. Scintillating silver light shimmered the place. Hundreds of roses graced the air and it felt like someone was trying to create their own mini heaven. Wherever and on whatever my eyes averted all I saw was a transformed version of a billion dollars.

I heard they call this event, The Met Gala of the business world.

I almost felt inferior like a trivial insect among this brilliant richness.

My boss, bought a dress for me. A fucking Dior dress. It's violet with spaghetti straps and encrusted stones on the chest and abdomen area, with the show of my cleavage. The lower part was smoothly swept down. It's so light and that made me feel like I was wearing clouds.

It wasn't the only thing he bought me. He hired an entire team of make up artists who did my both hair and make-up. I couldn't argue or disagree because I wasn't attending a normal event. I had to be presentable.

They put a royal look on me, that's what they said. That included a nature make-up look with tinted lips. I couldn't recognise myself for a moment, when they finished. They made my hair a little bit wavy and didn't do anything in particular. One of the hair stylists said, they should let my natural beauty shine not ruin it with some attempt. I didn't get what he meant by that. Though I smiled at him pretending I understood his thought.

And now my boss. He was wearing a black Dior suit that hugged his muscles perfectly. His hair was put on a messy style, making him look like a movie star. Not to mention the violet bowtie. He said we should match.

"Do you like it?" Evan leaned closer to my ear and whispered, making me shiver.

"No word. I am speechless." I smiled at him and averted my eyes to the stage where the band was playing some classic music.

"See, I told you, you will like it." He said and chuckled as I nodded in agreement.

It's been ten minutes since we arrived. Evan didn't leave my side for a moment. He met a few people and made small talk. He even introduced me with those, calling me his lucky charm.

I don't understand Evan, not even in a flimsiest way. He is so composed and well mannered and it looks like everyone likes him automatically. And that's the thing that creeped me out. He jokes here and there, giving people heart melting compliments. He is so perfect that will hurt in the most horrible way. And his beauty is also a great weapon in his account.

Women have been giving me nasty looks since we arrived. The more time was passing the more the hostility was getting drastic.

"Would you like some champaign?" Evan asked, with the same gentleman tone.

"Yeah." I murmured and gave him a tender smile.

He retrieved two champagne flutes from a waiter and handed me one.

"You are absolutely looking stunning, Ana. Did I tell you that?" Evan complimented me as blush painted my cheeks.

"For the seventh time." I said, smiling. My cheeks hurt from the amount of fake manner I have been showing.

"I did?" He feigned as he doesn't know what we are talking about. If I didn't get those lurid chills around him, I would have enjoyed his company more than anything.