twenty-eight

Anastasia Mason

A VEIN of my heart snapped, in a flash vanishing somewhere with its agony. The area of my chest tightened with an excruciating knot that clogged my throat, coercing me to stop inhaling oxygen. The restaurant has AC but here I was sweating with cold perspiration. I looked away with a hard gulp as my eyes stung with tears that I didn’t want to shed.

I was already upset due to our morning encounter but that doesn’t compare with this one. That made me feel helpless but this one made me feel like a scar. An ugly scar on delicate skin. Our relationship isn’t real and I knew it all too well. But still I fell for him. Still I watered the flower plants in my heart and let the flowers bloom with encouragement and enthusiasm.

But now it’s deflorate, before even I could see the soft colours of my happiness in them. The vein of my head throbbed erratically, drying my throat as hot air covered my ears.

"You ok?" Ryan asked in concerning tone

"Yep, I need to use the washroom." I informed and tried to smile and stood on my shaky legs.

The blond adjusting her body against his protective arms flashed before my vision like some fucked up film reels. Her smiling at him, telling him how much she loves him, was ringing in my ears like some curse cooing It's vicious customs.

Four months.

Your story with him was meant to be for only four months.

He promised, he won’t take any lover when we are together.

But again who am I to stop him.

I am nobody.

I rushed towards a stall and sat on the toilet lead. And no sooner had, I locked the door, a sob escaped me, proofing myself weak emotionally. I shouldn’t have let my greed blind me. I knew I stood no chance in front of a man like him. He is rich. He is famous and he had the most beautiful women beside him. Here I am, plain, boring and fucked up mentally and emotionally.

He proved this morning that we are nothing but a business dealer. Before I could know what was going on, I was sobbing. I poured my heart out, thinking what am I and what I am going to do.

"Ana?" Ryan's voice echoed and It's like he was inside here.

What the hell is he doing in the women's toilet?

"Are you there?"

"Yes." I managed to say, and wiped my face.

"It's a women's toilet, sir." A disapproved voice said.

"I am sorry, Ms. My girlfriend is inside. She wasn’t feeling well." Ryan excused.

"I'll be outside, Ana." He called out as his footsteps vanished.

I hurriedly got out of the stall and stood before the mirror. A woman of my age was fixing her make-up and I guess she was the one who called on Ryan.

"You ok?" She asked, not looking at me, applying red lipstick on her lips.

"Period cramps." I nodded and tried to smile but inside my heart was cleaving into a million pieces.

"That nasty shit." She scrunched her face and rolled her eyes.

"Drink lots of water. Bye." She nonchalantly said and walked out, leaving me alone.

I looked in the mirror and cringed when I saw the disaster on my face. Tears stained my cheeks as my whole face was red as if a few minutes ago someone was choking me. I sniff and wipe my face. Thank god I wasn’t wearing too much make up. I splashed some water on my and took a deep breath.