chapter 34

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a golden hue over the city skyline, Molly and Spencer found themselves weaving through the throngs of people at the bustling fairgrounds.

JJ and Will walked ahead with their sons, while Molly and Spencer trailed behind, hand in hand, taking in the sights and sounds of the vibrant carnival atmosphere.

The fair was a kaleidoscope of colors and sounds, with flashing lights illuminating the night sky and the lively chatter of carnival-goers filling the air. Stalls lined the streets, offering an array of games and attractions, from classic carnival games like ring toss and balloon darts to thrilling rides that towered above the crowds.

Henry's eyes lit up with excitement as he spotted the carousel, tugging eagerly at Molly's hand. "Can we go on the teacups, Aunt Molly?" he asked, his voice filled with anticipation.

Molly smiled down at him, ruffling his hair affectionately. "Of course, Henry. Let's go!"

Spencer watched fondly as they boarded the ride together, their laughter mingling with the cheerful strains of the carousel music.

As they kept wandering through the fairgrounds, Spencer's gaze fell upon a familiar sight: the shooting game. He glanced back at Molly, a playful twinkle in his eye, and nudged her gently.

"Remember the last time we were here?" he asked, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

Molly's eyes lit up with recognition as she followed his gaze to the shooting game. "Of course I do!" she replied, her voice tinged with nostalgia. "You won me that pink bunny!"

Spencer nodded, a sense of determination flickering in his eyes. "Well, how about I win you another prize?" he suggested, his competitive spirit igniting at the challenge.

Molly laughed, a melodic sound that warmed Spencer's heart.

"Sure, why not?" she agreed, a playful glint in her eye.

Spencer handed over a few dollars and took aim at the targets, his focus unwavering as he concentrated on hitting each one. The sound of the gunshots echoed in his ears, his movements fluid and precise as he aimed for the prize.

With each successful shot, Spencer's confidence grew, until finally, he hit the last target with pinpoint accuracy. A cheer erupted from the crowd as the attendant handed him the prize—a soft, white bunny.

Molly's eyes widened in delight as she accepted the toy, a smile spreading across her face. "This bunny and the pink one... literally us," she declared, holding the toy up. "This one is you. The pink one is me"

Spencer chuckled, his heart swelling with affection for the woman beside him.

As Spencer engaged in conversation with Henry, his godson's innocent curiosity about the rides at the fairgrounds drew him into a realm of facts and statistics.

With each question Henry posed, Spencer's mind effortlessly retrieved information about the various rides—their speeds, heights, and safety records—as if he were a walking encyclopedia of amusement park knowledge.

He found himself immersed in the conversation, enjoying the opportunity to share his expertise with Henry and relish in the boy's excitement.

But as the minutes passed and the conversation with Henry continued, Spencer's attention began to wane.

A subtle unease crept into his thoughts, a nagging feeling that something was amiss. He glanced around, scanning the bustling crowds of people milling about the fairgrounds, but there was no sign of Molly.

A sense of dread coiled in the pit of Spencer's stomach, his heart rate quickening as his mind raced through a myriad of worst-case scenarios.

The sounds of laughter and chatter that had filled the air moments ago now seemed to fade into the background, drowned out by the deafening thud of his own heartbeat echoing in his ears.