chapter 20

A year later

As Molly stood in front of her class, guiding her students through a lesson, her phone suddenly rang. Surprised, she glanced down at the caller ID and saw Spencer's name flashing on the screen. 

Spencer knew her schedule like the back of his hand, whether he wanted to or not he remembered every detail of it, he wouldn't call if it wasn't important.

Molly quickly stepped aside, positioning herself near the wall of the classroom to take the call. With a subtle gesture, she signaled to her students that she needed a moment. 

"Spencer, is everything alright?" she asked, her voice hushed with concern, mindful not to disrupt the ongoing lesson.

"Hi! Molly, um... my mom flooded my apartment and then the nurse quit, and well... the team is gone on a case and I'm still gonna be in touch with them via video call but yeah... um..."

As Molly listened to Spencer's words, she could hear the worry in his voice. She knew that his mind was racing, trying to figure out the best option for his mom. Bringing Diana to live with him had been a difficult decision.

With Spencer's demanding job and Molly teaching five days a week, it had become clear that they couldn't manage on their own. Despite their best efforts, they simply didn't have the resources or the time to provide the round-the-clock care that Diana needed.

Molly understood Spencer's fears. Taking Diana out of the facility where she was receiving constant care wasn't an easy decision, but she also understood his desire to have his mom close to him, where he could oversee her care personally. It was a delicate balance between wanting what was best for Diana and wanting to keep her close to family.

Molly's voice trembled with worry as she spoke, her concern evident in her tone. "Oh my god, Spencer, I can't leave right now..."

Spencer's expression softened with understanding, "Oh god, no, Molly. I don't want you to," he assured her, his voice gentle and reassuring. "I'm fine. I just wanted to let you know..."

"Okay, listen, I'm gonna pick up some takeaway on the way," she promised, determination coloring her tone. "And right after work, I'm gonna come by and help you out, okay?"

"Okay... thank you, Molly," he replied, his voice filled with appreciation. "I love you."

Molly's heart swelled at Spencer's words, her love for him evident in her response. "I love you too," she whispered, her voice filled with warmth and affection. "It's gonna be okay!"

...........................................

With a bag of still-warm takeaway food in hand, Molly hurried up the stairs to apartment 23. She reached the door and gently knocked.

Seconds later, Spencer swung the door open, his expression a mix of relief and gratitude as he welcomed her inside. 

"Hi," he exclaimed, his voice tinged with appreciation.

Molly smiled warmly at him, her heart swelling at the sight of him. 

"Hi," she replied, her voice filled with determination, and leaned in to give him a kiss on the cheek. As she drew back, she noticed a slight redness on his cheek. It wasn't from her lipstick - she wasn't wearing any.

Her brows furrowed in concern as she examined his face, trying to discern the cause. Spencer attempted to quickly look away, sensing what she was doing. But Molly was persistent, gently reaching out to touch his cheek. 

"Spencer, what happened?" she asked.

Molly's voice carried a gentle concern as she called out to Spencer again, her tone reflecting the worry that knotted her stomach. "Spencer...?"