chapter 26

Molly lounged on the couch, her mind drifting aimlessly as she stared blankly at the ceiling. The silence of her apartment enveloped her like a heavy blanket, and she found herself sinking deeper into the cushions, lacking the energy or motivation to move. 

Her phone's sudden ring shattered the stillness, pulling her reluctantly back to the present moment. Emily's name flashed on the screen, and she answered with a hint of curiosity in her voice.

"Hey, Emily. What's up?"

"Molly, where are you right now?" Emily's tone was urgent, cutting through the casualness of the moment.

"I'm at home. Why?"

"Listen, I need you to stay there and wait for Luke. He's on his way to pick you up. Don't open the door for anyone else, understand? Only Luke. And stay away from the windows."

Molly's heart skipped a beat, her mind racing with questions. "Why? Emily, what's going on?"

"Please, Molly, just trust me on this. We'll explain everything soon. Just stay put, okay?"

Molly's stomach churned with unease as she hung up the phone, her thoughts swirling with fear about what could possibly be happening.

Her heart leaped into her throat. She sat up on the couch, her mind racing with questions, but before she could voice them, Emily's instructions came through clear and firm. 

Stay put. Wait for Luke. Don't open the door for anyone else.

A shiver of unease ran down Molly's spine as she absorbed Emily's words. 

What could be so urgent? Was it about Spencer? Was he okay?  Did he get hurt again or worse...?

And then, just as she was trying to quell the rising panic, there was a knock on her door. 

Her pulse quickened as she cautiously approached the peephole, her breath catching in her throat when she saw Luke's familiar silhouette on the other side.

"Hi, Molly," Luke greeted her as she opened the door, his expression grave.

"Hey," Molly replied, her voice tinged with anxiety. "What's going on?"

"We have to go," Luke said tersely, his tone leaving no room for questions. "I'll tell you on the way."

In the car, Molly's nerves were palpable, evident in her bitten lip and restless fingers. Her heart raced like a runaway train, each beat echoing loudly in her ears. Tears welled in her eyes as she anticipated the news she feared.

"Is it about Spencer?" she asked, her voice trembling with emotion.

Luke hesitated, struggling to find the right words. "Yes, but no. Well, kind of."

Molly's confusion only deepened. "Please, Luke, just tell me," she pleaded, her voice cracking.

"When was the last time you saw Diana?" Luke asked abruptly, redirecting the conversation.

Molly's brow furrowed in confusion. What did Diana have to do with anything? 

"I saw her two days ago at Spencer's apartment. I was supposed to visit her today..." she replied, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

"Who was with her?" Luke pressed.

"Cassie," Molly answered without hesitation. "Who else would be with her? She's always with Cassie."

Luke's next question caught Molly off guard. "So you haven't seen any other nurse?"

Molly's confusion turned to concern. "No? Should I have?"