Book 5: The Brightest Night: Prologue

Start from the beginning

"Scavengers," spat the queen. "Robbed me. How dare they?" She lashed her tail, hissing. "They can't have gone far. Wake up Burn and tell her to meet me outside."
"Burn?" Blister echoed, glancing over her mother's shoulder at the treasure rooms.
"Just in case there are a lot of them and we need to fight," Oasis said. "I've seen what their tiny swords can do. I'm not such a fool to go out there alone."

"Oh, no, of course not," Blister said. "But why Burn, when I'm here?"
Oasis gave her a withering look. "I need a real fighter," she said. "Not someone who thinks she can use her brain to get herself out of anything, and isn't even as smart as she thinks she is."

"I see," Blister said coldly. "I'll wake her at once." she took a step up to corridor, then turned back. "What did they take?"
"Small things for the most part," Oasis growled. "But they also took the Eye of Onyx."
That actually made Blister's face twitch, as if a hint of a real emotion - worry? surprise? - was trying to come through.

"We'll get it back," Oasis promised. "And we'll have roasted scavenger for breakfast." She pushed past Blister and and stormed toward the nearest route to the sky. "I'm going out there. Wake Burn, and hurry."
"Oh, yes. Right away," burn said.

As Oasis charged into the courtyard, spread her wings, and lifted into the sky, she thought for a moment that she saw Blister turn to look back at the treasure rooms instead. 'I forgot to lock them up again,' Oasis thought uneasily. 'But this will only take a minute. And if she's stupid enough to take anything. I'll have a good excuse to kill her. She's smarter than that.'
She wheeled toward the outer walls, scanning the sands. A disturbing thought occurred to her: 'What if she doesn't wake Burn? What if I'm going to face the thieves alone, with no backup?'

Then she spotted them. Four figures - two scavengers waiting on the sand, another climbing down from a window along side a cat-like creature. None of them watching the sky. 'Scab-infested idiot monkeys.' Oasis growled and folded her wings to drop down silently behind them. Maybe she could scare them to death; prey always tasted better when it died like that.

'Only three of them and a felyne,' she thought. 'I don't need to wait for Burn, if Blister's even getting her. I can certainly handle four annoying pests by myself.'
She narrowed her eyes, advancing up the dunes toward the sound of squeaking and meowing.
'After all . . . what's the worst that could happen?'

--------------------------------------------------------

Year 5,003 AS 

It was night in the Sand Kingdom, and the air was freezing. 
One full moon shown down across the vast desert, barely illuminating the way for anyone stupid or brave enough who couldn't see in the night and could bare the freezing temperatures.

A cloaked figure slowly trudged across the sandy dunes, looking for somewhere safe.
She was neither brave nor stupid. 
She was desperate.

The figure was short, slightly short than most dragons that were considered to be short. The cloak covered the figure entirely; It was tattered and royal blue in color. Deep red blotches of blood stained parts of the cloak.

Under the cloak, wasn't a dragon. It was a monster, a Mizutsune, to be specific. Her name was Spirit.
Unlike the species male counterpart, female Mizutsune were much smaller and their and scales were a more gray color. The fin-like appendages on their face and back are much thinner and shorter. Their fur isn't as long or fluffy, and their tails are thinner and shorter.

This Mizutsune in particular, was slightly different. Her fur was a dull purple and turned white and then gray toward the end. Her scales were a dull pink and the fins along her back were also the same color. Her claws were a dark pink with one claw being double the length of the others. Her fur was matted in some places and unruly in others and almost all of it was caked with blood and dirt along with her scales.
She stopped caring to properly groom herself a few days after she started her journey.