Sixty

Jackie's POV

After he explained everything, I was left feeling as if my tongue was heavy. Lucas just told me everything that I wanted to hear and I was still feeling conflicted. I was happy though. Happy that he was not with her, that he was still in love with me. It made me feel a relief in me but our relationship was too much for me to handle because—

"Jackie?"

I blinked and turned my head to stare at him. He was giving me a small smile while he looked at me. I took my time to admire his face. He was still the same good looking guy I fell for. His beautiful blue eyes was still the same pretty eyes I love to look at, his perfect full yet arched brows, and those slightly thick lips that shielded a perfect row of white teeth. Looking at him, he looked more mature, with whispers of beards around his jawline. The more I stared, the more I could see the stress in his eyes.

"Lucas?" I barely knew I was saying his name until he hummed and I blinked in realization.

"What is it?" He asked and stretched out his hand to touch me.

Seeing what he was about to do and not trusting myself, I moved my hand once he touched mine. I could see the hurt flash in his eyes at what I had done. I was even hurt for moving away from his touch.

"I'm sorry," he said and leaned away. "Are you feeling okay?"

"I'm fine." I was not.

"Jackie. Can we—"

My phone rang, cutting him off. I took my phone out of the pocket of my dress and raised it to my face. I was glad that he was calling. Without thinking twice, I answered the call and it was when I paid attention to the screen that I realized it was a video call request. Darrell was on the screen, smiling and waving. I forced a smile on my face and glanced at Lucas who was very close to me. A little leaning over the phone and he would see who I was talking to, not that I cared.

"What's up?" I asked. My voice was shaky and I hoped he didn't notice anything.

"Are you okay? You look and sound stiff," he said with worry on his face.

"I'm fine, Darrel," I replied and a look of confusion took over Lucas' face which left the next second. "Look, I am busy right now, can we talk some more when I get back to my hotel?"

He nodded and I ended the call. I faced Lucas again, this time ready to leave as I had nothing to say to him.

"I would like to take my leave now. My feet hurt and I want to lay down."

Panic took over his face and he nodded with his mouth opening and closing as if to say something. I made my way to the door and he followed behind. As I grabbed the handle, my ankle suddenly turned jelly and my body started to fall to the side but before I could hit the ground. Strong arms wrapped around me with careful hands on my baby bump.

I could smell him, I could feel those hard muscles of his, I could feel the heat coming off his body and it made me feel the need to lean into him, to take more of his body and rub against mine. I missed his touch and that delicious scent that always made me even more attracted to him.

"Are you okay?"

The raspiness and deepness of his voice made my body tingle. His breath was fanning against my ear and I wanted him closer. I was acting too out of line but I couldn't help it. The stupid man I fell for was so close to me after months of being away, I needed this somehow.

When my phone vibrated, I quickly raised it to my face and my eyes widened when I saw a selfie from Darrell. I cursed myself for carelessly raising the phone to my face because Lucas saw the picture too. I didn't need to look at his face to tell.

"Who is that?" There was something in the way he spoke. His voice was deeper with an octave.

"What do you mean?" I moved out of his hold and faced him, while putting my phone in my bag.

"Who is that guy?" He asked and I could see his jaw tightening.

I rolled my eyes. "Look, Lucas. I am done here. I don't have anything to do with you right now. I just want to head back to my hotel and—"

"That fucking man is dangerous."

Lucas either had gone crazy or he really got to him. I eyed him, trying to understand what crap he was saying then kissed my teeth as annoyance flowed through me.

"What are you talking about? Why would Darrell be dangerous?"

Why was I even still standing where I was?

"Listen, Jackie. I know you're very stubborn but I won't force you to believe me, but I need you to stay the fuck away from that man. A friend... The girl, Maddie?"

My heart ached at the mention of the girl's name. I gritted my teeth and looked away from him.

"That guy is her ex, and he is not a good person. He is abusive and how he knows you is very suspicious. Plese, trust me."

I sighed. I was fed up with his words and really tired. My back and feet were hurting, and my bed called to me from miles away.

"Lucas, thanks for the information but I'm fine. Now, excuse me," I said and opened the door then walked out.

Once the door was shut, I stood there to count my breath and lower the rate my heart was beating. I glanced at the door as if I could see him then walked away.

| | |

Later that evening, I decided to lay in bed rather than go out to tour around. As I lay in bed, all I could think about was Lucas. How he had changed; physically and emotionally. He seemed different and almost as if he had walls built up. As much as I wanted to not care about Lucas, I still did. He was still everything to me and it hurt me to see him go through what he was going through alone. The only thing was that I hated how he had left me, just like that, with no explanation. He broke up with me and suddenly wanted me back.

I wanted him back, but I was scared. I was scared of him leaving me again if I accepted him back, scared of him not truly loving me. Now that we both have careers to handle, I was even more scared. We are still very young, and the future could be with other people and not with us being lovers. It hurt but I wanted him so badly.

"What do I do?" I whispered and my phone dinged beside me.

I picked it up and saw it was an email. I opened it up and my heart ached at the content. Andrea already booked my flight back to Atherton and it was tomorrow. I dropped the phone and stared at the ceiling. Once I leave New York, I probably wouldn't see or hear from Lucas again.

Things have changed in our relationship. Our relationship was like a taped up broken glass, and I was worried about making the wrong choice. Should we get back together before I go back home or give him a chance, but the chance can only work in the future when everything is clear.

"Why did I have to fall in love?" I groaned and covered my face with a pillow.