Fifty-Four

Jackie's POV

After mom and Andrea had told me about the gift, they had given me, they took me somewhere else and when we arrived at a shopping square where there were luxurious stores, and even a mall in the slight distance. As the car stopped in a parking space, I continued to look around the place. The first thing I noticed was an empty, under construction store. When Andrea and mom got out, I followed suit.

"Where are we?" I asked them as they came to stand beside me.

I looked at each of them and saw the smiles on their faces. Mom wrapped her arm around my shoulder and Andrea pointed at the empty store.

"Do you see that store?" Andrea asked and I nodded with confusion. "That is yours."

I froze. Everything around me froze also. My eyes were wide, and my mouth hung open at the words she had just uttered and the store before me. I closed my mouth and blinked after what felt like forever then took in the store.

The front had a wide glass door and two huge glass windows. I could see inside, and a counter covered in plastic wrap was in it. Slowly, I walked over to the store and stopped at the entrance. I pushed one side of the door open and walked in. The place was stuffy and smelt like sundried paper, mixed with dust. That did not bother me as I looked around. The place was huge and wide with tall walls. I made my way to the counter and placed my hand on the surface and met dust. The spot behind the counter was equally spacious, enough for staff to move around. I started to picture myself here, with my staff and customers all around the place. It made my eyes water and my heart ache from the joy and astonishment I was feeling.

I walked past the counter and toward the back where a door was. I opened it and saw another room. It was almost as big as the other room. I heard footsteps behind me, and I sighed then turned around to face them.

"This is... Why?" I was speechless. I had nothing to say to them about this.

Mom smiled. "Why not? This is my gift to you as my daughter and a gift from Andrea as a supporting role in your life. We saw how things turned out for you and we wanted to make things better. I want you to be an established woman. Someone who will feel proud after everything that has happened."

I started to cry out, tears and snot flowing out. My heart was stinging, filled with emotions. I rushed to her and hugged her, crying harder into her shoulder. She hugged me back, rubbing my back.

"We just want you happy and comfortable," Andrea said and patted the back of my head.

I pulled away from her and wiped my tears with my palms. I smiled at them and exhaled hard.

"Thank you so much. I never expected this, seriously. I will make you guys proud."

Andrea hummed. "I know we didn't start off as good friends because of that trash of a man but... I am a girl's girl, and I am here for you. I will keep saying sorry for hurting you."

I shook my head and approached her. Even though a few months back, I was still pensive about her, she has been the only friend close to me, helping me. She was truly a good person. I smiled and hugged her. She hugged back and I pulled back afterward.

"Let us just move on from this." I stepped backward. "Now, we have to think of a business to start."

Mom hummed and tapped her chin thoughtfully.

"Why don't you think of something. This is all you and I am ready to sponsor whatever it is financially. Also, my dad has shares in a company and they are looking for businesses to sponsor. I told him about yours and he is going to add your business to the compiled list. Just get ready with a business plan, hm?"

I was elated at the news. Everything was where I wanted it. I was going to be a businesswoman, thanks to my mom and friend. I could not help but smile at the image of myself becoming something in my mind.

| | |

A week after getting gifted, I started to draft what business would do well. At first, it was difficult as owning a business was something that I never thought of. My type of dream was to study hard and get a job in a nice company in need of an engineer. But I was happy with this too.

So, with that, I used the whole week to think of a business plan and I finally did. With the idea, I began to draft a proper business proposal and attached the budget and cost for starting it up. I knew nothing of the company Andrea's dad had shares in so I made sure to not include any names as I felt more than one company may be interested in the portfolio. And once I was done, I printed it out and read through them.

When I was done, I stared into space with the image of the girl Lucas cheated on me with in my mind. I would do my best to be something great in a few months and years. I would become the woman he cheated on me with, and I would make him pay for everything.

Once I was done, I packed the document into a safe place and went back to bed. As I turned off the bedside lamp, my phone started to ring. It was late at night, and I wondered who could be calling at such an hour. I took my phone off the bedside table and squinted my eyes at the bright screen. When I saw it was an unknown number calling me, I rolled my eyes and dropped the phone back. No one has called me ever since Lucas left and I was not in the mood to pick the call.

The caller stopped, only to call again. I needed my sleep, so I took the phone again and answered the call.

"Hello?" I said and waited for a response but heard nothing. "Hello?"

The caller still said nothing and in annoyance, I took the phone from my ear and glared at the screen.

"If you don't have anything to say, stop calling me."

Just as I was about to end the call, I heard the caller's voice.

"Jackie? I miss you."

I froze. It was Lucas fucking Hamilton.

"I will come back for you, and I will explain everything but all I want is for your forgiveness. I miss you and our baby so much. I am so hurt that I have lost you... Please, don't make me lose you completely. Wait for me, please."

I glared at the phone as tears gathered in my eyes. I squeezed the screen and began to breathe heavily. My heart was pumping blood fast, making me feel out of breath. How dare he say those words to me.

"Wait for you?" I repeated with a mocking tone. "I'm sorry, Lucas but I already moved on. From now on, I don't want you calling me or near me and my baby. Do you understand? If you don't want me far away from you and everything, stay away from me and focus on your new life. I will be starting mine just without you. Goodbye, forever."

I ended the call and dropped the phone. My hands started to shake as anxiety shot through my body. My heart was pounding faster, and it felt like my lungs were on fire. I laced my fingers together and covered my face with my laced hands. I peeked through the crack in my fingers at the box where the document was. A rush of determination went through me followed by hate for Lucas Hamilton.

"I will make sure you hurt more than you hurt me," I said venomously.