Forty-Four

Lucas' POV

I would know him anywhere. I would know the man I once thought was my uncle, anywhere, even though he had an identical twin brother. But the shock of seeing him made me freeze. I was told he had died yet he was in front of me, alive and staring up at me. My heart was leaping fast and a rush of cold flowed over me.

In fear, I stepped back, almost stripping on the steps. I eyed the man lying on the steps with wonder and curiosity flowing through me. He was dead but how was he alive?

"You're not Henry," I said with a shaky voice.

"What?" I heard Ruth say.

"Lucas," Mom called to me from behind.

I had so many questions the more I looked at him. If he had been alive all these years, why had he abandoned me? Why did he stay away when I needed a father? My eyes started to prickle, and my heart burned when anger and sadness filled me up.

"Why?" I asked, not certain of what I was even asking. "What... How are you alive? When..."

I turned around and stared at mom. Tears were in her eyes and guilt too. I glanced at Ruth to see if she was aware but the innocent look in her eyes made me believe she wasn't. I swallowed the painful lump in my throat and climbed down the steps. I stopped in front of mom and let my gaze sweep over her face.

"Mom, what is going on?" I asked and pointed behind me. "That isn't Henry. That is my dad. How is he alive? Did you know about this?"

"Wait..." Ruth sounded scared. "Are y-you saying that's u-uncle Harry?"

"Answer me!" I yelled, making her flinch and start to cry.

I stepped back and rolled my eyes to stop the tears from falling. I was confused, angry, sad and going crazy. I looked at everyone in the room and ran my fingers through my hair. My breath was becoming heavy, and my heart was beating so fast that I felt like my blood was pumping at the same pace. I placed my hand on my chest and tried to regulate my breath but the more I tried, the more I felt out of breath.

"He's having a panic attack!"

I heard Ruth say in a very distant voice. My head ached and my lungs tightened. I fell to my knees and gasped for air while clutching my chest. My body was sweaty, and my head spun. I felt hands on my back and my hair, then the trickle of cold water on my scalp. Then I was pressed up against a chest. As I inhaled what was the scent of my mother, I held her arms and shut my eyes. My heart beats started to drop, and my breathing calmed. As I felt her whisper soothing words against my head, I heard a soft and mechanical sound, followed by a gush of breeze blowing in my face. I opened my eyes and saw a standing fan beside me then sighed in relief.

"It's okay," Mom said and rubbed my temple with the pad of her thumb.

It felt like a long time had gone by before I felt like I was fine. I lifted my head away from my mother's chest and stared at her face. Worry and fear masked her face and when she saw I was fine, she kissed my forehead. I moved her arms away from me and looked to the other side. Ruth and... dad were staring with the same look of worry on their faces.

My gaze flickered back to him. We maintained a long eye contact and while we did, I started to imagine what had happened. Had they lied to me or was I even his real son? When confusion started to sink in me again, I exhaled to stop another round of panic attack.

"You need to rest," he said and cleared his throat. "I will... I will tell you everything later."

The moment he said that I got scared. Scared that he would go away again. I shook my head and stood to my feet. I steadied myself when my head felt light a bit before approaching him. He stiffened when I came close with a calculative look in his eyes.