Nine

|||

Lucas' POV

"Come again?" Jackie requested in a neutral voice.

This wasn't happening. There was no way this was possible. Just when my life was going to be full of happiness and love with Jackie, someone comes and ruins it.

Cindy barely looked in Jackie's direction as her attention was on me. She dropped her arms she was crossing and frowned deeper.

"Lucas, you are a father," she said.

"No," I retorted. "I don't know what you're on about but you need to understand that I am nothing of such to you."

Cindy scoffed. "I did not come from Redside to lie to you. I have evidence to back up what I am saying."

I clenched my hands and looked at Jackie. Her eyes were fixed on something behind Cindy and when I followed her gaze, I saw a baby stroller. My heart tightened at the possibility of a baby laying in it and the fact that what Cindy was saying could be true.

"Cindy, leave," I ordered and she scoffed.

"No," she said. "I won't because I've lost everything because of you. I have a family, nobody! As soon as they found out I was pregnant, my parents threw me out. I can't even live with my cousin, Josh because his family is barely around and Josh is in college. I have nowhere to go. I have been living with a classmate but I could no longer stay because I have nothing to feed my baby. I cannot be suffering when the baby's father is alive and living well."

I swallowed, relieving the tightness in my throat. My tongue felt heavy to form a single word. I didn't even want to know what was going on in Jackie's head since she didn't even speak anymore.

I turned my head when Jackie rushed to the front door. I swore under my breath and glared at a smirking Cindy before going after Jackie who went into the house.

"Jackie," I said, jogging after her.

She stopped in the living room, backing me with her hands clenched on her side. I hated hurting her like this. I promised never to hurt her and here I was, doing the same thing all because of my past.

Jackie slowly turned around. Her face was blank, free of any emotions which weren't so good for me. I preferred if I could tell if she was angry or sad.

"Jackie, I can explain," I said and she sighed.

"Look, I'm not angry with you or anything. I'm just shocked and a bit sad that you have a child out there when we are expecting one already," she said in a light tone.

"Baby, I don't know anything about her being pregnant," I said and gulped. "Cindy was one of my many flings from the past and a cousin to the captain of the team, Josh Edgewood. I slept with her just once, just like every other girl and after that, I never spoke to her. For each girl I slept with, I always used protection. I am so sorry this is happening. There has to be an explanation to this because I was protected when I had sex with her."

Jackie rubbed her forehead and blew out some air through her mouth. She dropped her hand and made her way to me.

"So, do you think the baby is yours?" She asked.