Sixteen

|||

After the meeting at Matt's place, I rushed home as I was excited about our movie night with Lucas and the others. When I arrived home, Lucas had not been home so I quickly took a shower and ate some food before leaving the house.

I had to meet our neighbor who I had not seen for some days or heard from. As I neared their house which was close to ours, their rottweiler rose from the porch and started to wag his tail in excitement. I grinned and hurried up to the porch and he stood on his hind legs, his tongue hanging out and tails hitting the wooden floor.

"Hey, Quirky," I said and scratched the spot behind his ear, and his eyes drooped, making me laugh.

"Is that my favorite neighbor," Evangeline's said as she opened the front door. She squealed at my presence and came forward them hugged me.

I almost fell back from the impact and struggled to breathe against her warm body. She giggled close to my head and pulled back, grinning wide. Her long braids fell against her face, framing her beautiful face and her arched eyebrows were raised with a cheeky grin on.

"I missed you," she said.

"How was your trip?" I asked, smiling wide.

"Tiring. I ended up wasting my vacation there by doing work."

I chuckled. Evangeline was a travel agent working in a reputable company that paid her well. She was barely ever around because she was taking work trips or just a vacation.

"What am I doing? Come in."

"Nah, I'm not here to stay," I said, shaking my head. "I came to invite you. Lucas wants to have a movie night with you and some of our friends. So, you're invited to come tonight."

Evangeline's brown eyes brightened from happiness. She teased Lucas a lot and that made him cranky sometimes. She was a funny person sometimes.

"I'm so coming. What time should I arrive? Can I bring snacks or some finger food?" She rambled and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Relax," I said. "You can bring whatever you want. Except for Quirky of course. You already know that Lucas has a fear for dogs."

"As old as he is," she said and laughed. "Quirky likes him yet Lucas could pee his pants if he saw him."

"I know, right? It cannot forget how he was frozen when he saw Quirky for the first time. I thought my man would faint," I said and laughed at the memory. He had been chased by a puppy when he was younger and since then, he didn't like dogs. He even said he preferred cats.

Lucas had wanted to drive out to work when Quirky jogged into our compound, scaring the shit out of him. It was the second week we moved into the neighborhood and that was when I started being Evangeline's friend. She was funny and cool to hang out with.

"Alright, I'll see you tonight at eight," I said and started to walk away.

|||

Some hours later, Lucas had put up a projector-like movie set-up at the back of the house, close to the swimming pool we had. Two outdoor loveseats and a single couch were placed in a horizontal line facing the screen with a long table with drinks and snacks that Axel, Barry, and Evangeline had brought.