Nubbins Sawyer

♡Title: The Hitchhiker
♤Character: Nubbins
◇Relationship: Strangers
♧TW: None
                                ☆            .    .          .
    .      .                .
                .                        .          ☆            .

  .                    .                 .         .             .
                ☆         .             ☆

      .                             .                         ☆   
☆              .
                              .              .

It was a hot summer day in Texas. The sun was beaming down on the barren road as I drove on it. My hands felt like they were burning in the sun just from holding the steering wheel.

"Damn." I sighed out loud while wiping some of the sweat from my forehead.

I was on a small road trip through Texas. My goal was to look at the wild flowers and maybe see some cows as I drove near large fields. The trip has been beautiful so far. The color of the flowers was astonishing as I passed them, taking a few pictures along the way.

That's when something caught my eye on the road ahead. Through the shimmer of the road and the mirage that made the road ahead look wavy and distorted, I could see what looked like a man walking. Who the hell would walk outside in this heat?

My car drove closer to the man on the road so I could see him clearly. His feet move in unconventional patterns, adding a touch of whimsy to his stride. Looking closely, he had pitch black greasy hair with a dark green shirt that looked cut up. I instantly noticed the strange poutch around his neck. It looked furry and was definitely homemade.

The second the man heard the car, I saw him turn around with a small jump and a wide smile. His hand went up as he waved and held his thumb out to hitchhike.

The coser I got, I could see the red scar that went across his face. This man has to have an interesting life story. So, ignoring all the red flags, I pulled over. I stopped for just a second so he could get into the passenger side. The man quickly jumped in and glanced at me with his wide smile.

"T-thanks for stoppin." The man stuttered out along with an eerie laugh.

"No problem. It's pretty hot out there. I couldn't just leave you on the side of the road in this heat." I said while I started to drive again.

"You- you're kind." He stuttered with his usual large smile. "I'm Nubbins."

"Y/N. What are you doing out here?" I glanced over at him while he sat comfortably in the passenger seat before returning my eyes to the road ahead.

"J- just walkin' home."

"Where do you live? I can drive you there." I offered, feeling a need to help him.

"Close, very close." Nubbins said through a laugh, jittering with his hands.

I nodded, watching him look at the knife I kept in the cup holder. Yes, I could keep it in a better place, but it's easy access there. In hindsight, I should have moved it before I picked up a hitchhiker. I forgot it was there at all, bringing it along just so I felt safer while being alone.

"I- I got this knife!" Nubbins reached into his pocket, pulling out a small blade. It was curved and shaped more like a box than the typical knife.

"Oh... wow." I said, not expecting him to pull out a knife and seeing it as quite the red flag. I wasn't exactly going on this trip to get murdered. Even though nubbins seems to be nice.

"You- you wanna see it?" I stuttered out as he held the blade my way.

"I see it from here." I said, trying to stay focused on the road but getting distracted by the stranger with a knife pointing at me in my own car.

"It's real good. Real real good. I like your knife too." He continued to ramble on while talking through his arms, waving them around with each word.

"Thanks - um, where's your house again?" I asked, wishing I could drop him off now but being far too shy and awkward to just kick him out.

"It's close. You gotta go there, I- I can show you my brother!" Nubbins pointed forward at the road, getting excited once he started talking about family.

"I can't stay, I need to keep on the road." I quickly turned him down, wishing I was more heartless and didn't pick him up in the first place.

"Oh, yous in a hurry?" His shoulders loosened and slouched as a defined frown covered his face.

"Yeah, sorry." I spoke, not wanting to make him upset but also not wanting to give in to his ideas.

The car fell silent as he sat there, only watching the road ahead. That was until the road slowed down as the car came to a stop. I pulled over to the side of the road just before stopping.

"Aren't we goin'?" Nubbins looked over at me.

"Yeah... the car just stopped?" I started to panic as I tried to start up the car again even though it seemed to have stopped for no reason. That can't be normal. I might not know a lot about cars, but I know what it could be. Maybe the heat did it? Maybe something was wrong with the engine? That was until I looked down. The gas tank was completely empty.

"You need gas?" Nubbins followed where my eyes were looking, seeing the tiny arrow point at the capitalized E. "Ya know, I got a guy in the family who works at a gas station. Just down the road."

"There's a gas station?" I perked up slightly, thinking we were doomed to walk miles because of this stupid mistake.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, come on. Come on." Nubbins excited nature started to come back once more as he jumped out of the car.

"Dammit." I whispered to myself while in the car before stepping out. I made sure to grab my keys and lock the car before following nubbins as he skipped down the road.

~○~

"We ain't got no more gas." The older man who works at the gas station said while shrugging his shoulders.

"What am I supposed to do?" My face fell into worry as I thought about it. I really was stranded out here.

"I'll tell you what. Nubbins seems to have taken a liking to ya." He put his hands on his hips, watching nubbins run over and stand behind me once he heard his name. "You can stay at the family house till we get more. How's that?"

"Yes! Yes, yes, you getta come home." Nubbins jumped around me in excitement.

"Oh, uh, yeah, yeah, we can do that." I said with a fake smile, trying to be polite. I guess nubbins got his way in the end. Not that I really want to go to his house, but what choice do I have? I can't just stay in the car with this heat. So, I'll just have to go with nubbins and hope he's just as kind as I think he is.

~○~