Chapter 39, The cliff-side cage

4 am. The training grounds lie shrouded in an oppressive darkness, the first sliver of dawn still reluctant to peek over the horizon. My breath hangs in the frigid air, each exhale a silent vow etched in frost. A twisted smile dances on my lips as I step onto the very ground where my training began. All I can think about is the smug satisfaction everyone must be feeling, relishing the thought of my failure.Memories, sharp and bitter, flood my mind. My father, abandoning me. Surya and Maharaj's his lifeless eyes staring back at me. Even in my past life as Panna, I knew the sting of betrayal – Adam, my own brother, turning his back on me. Why does every man in my life have to be so complex or so untrustworthy?Sitting on the cold ground, knees pulled tight against my chest, I watch the east, waiting for the first sliver of light. The memory of my first day of training is vivid – 200 hopeful initiates, all bundled in those slightly-too-tight uniforms (honestly, did no one else find them uncomfortable?). We were all told levitating was just a matter of focus, but apparently, my focus belonged to a housefly with an attention deficit disorder. I failed, day after day. Ruhaan and Harsh, my supposed brothers, tried to help, but it was futile. Truth be told, I wasn't exactly strong back then. Naive and fragile, I crumbled under the pressure. Rukmi, my supposed mentor, was too busy ruling Anartha to worry about my lack of levitation. Radha Maa, a beautiful woman who became my anchor, showering me with the warmth of a mother's love and the guidance of a wise teacher. Everyone had their reasons for calling her Maa, and I understood why more than most. Back then, no one dared mock me openly – I was the queen, after all. But the whispers started soon enough, a constant murmur that shadowed me wherever I went. After ten days of relentless humiliation, I couldn't bear to face another sunrise, another day of training that only highlighted my inadequacy. So I ran. Ran away from Anartha, ran away from the expectations, ran away from the mockery. It didn't matter where I was going, just as long as the whispers stopped.Frustration gnawed at me. Even Radha Maa, with her patient wisdom and motherly love, couldn't get me to levitate. Maybe I was just... stupid. That thought, sharp and unwelcome, pushed me over the edge. One day, I just ran. Didn't matter where, just away from the mocking whispers and the crushing weight of failure.I stumbled upon a cave, a beacon of light at the end of it in the growing darkness. Relief flooded me, a naive hope of sanctuary. But as I drew closer, I realized the light was deceptive. One wrong step, a loose patch of gravel giving way beneath my feet, and I was plummeting. The wind screamed in my ears, the ground rushing up to meet me.But then, a miracle. In that desperate moment, a surge of power erupted from within. I levitated, just enough to break my fall and land precariously on a ledge jutting out from the cliff face. Below me, a lush valley unfolded, cradled between towering mountains. It was beautiful, a stark contrast to the harsh reality..... I'd left behind.

In the silent presence of trees, I felt a connection, a subtle thrumming of power resonating deep within me. These weren't just trees; they were conduits, channeling the raw energy of nature. Slowly, with each passing day, my understanding deepened, and with it, my ability to levitate.The frustration clung to me like a second skin. Days bled into weeks, and despite the verdant beauty of the valley, it became a cage. Every attempt at levitation ended in disappointment, a harsh reminder of my failure. An unsettling silence hung heavy in the air. No search party, no frantic calls for their missing queen. It was as if I'd vanished into thin air, a forgotten memory.The valley, once a haven, started to feel stifling. I couldn't stay there forever. So, with a resolute heart, I set off, determined to find a way out. Days turned into a blur of dusty paths and towering trees until finally, a flicker of hope. In the distance, a cluster of figures – people, ordinary people in simple clothes, a stark contrast to the opulence of Anartha. With renewed energy, I raced towards them, desperate for information, for a way back. But my pleas were met with blank stares and dismissive silence. Dejection settled in my gut, a heavy weight that rivaled the emptiness in my stomach.