Chapter 20, Acceptance and Revelations

The inescapable nature of reality dawned upon me, and the more I resisted it, the more it hurt, the more it ached. The past months had been torturous, and as I mentioned before, I was ready to embrace everything that my eyes and ears were presenting to my brain. It was the only way to find inner peace."Avirbhav," Rukmi uttered, and the front wall from the dining table came alive with a myriad of images. Familiar faces, fleeting glimpses, and unknown yet oddly recognizable figures flashed before me. The images depicted a juxtaposition of blood and light, darkness and peace, creating a captivating slideshow or video. Then, Rukmi said, "Tirobhav," and the images ceased abruptly. My head spun for a moment, overwhelmed by the experience. The final image displayed on the screen was that of a stunning woman seated in an orchard beneath an apple tree. Her clothes appeared ancient and failed to fully cover her body. They were loosely wrapped, with knots in various places. Although her garments were clean, her overall appearance suggested a lack of affluence. Her nails were brittle, and her legs and hands bore cuts. She had her hair tied up in a bun, and a mischievous smile adorned her face, reflecting sheer happiness.

 She had her hair tied up in a bun, and a mischievous smile adorned her face, reflecting sheer happiness

"Who is she?" I asked, a smile spreading across my face. "She seems incredibly beautiful, and her outfit appears ancient.""She is one of our ancestors, the progenitor of Anartha," Rukmi replied, exuding an air of tranquility. Perhaps my newfound interest in this realm brought her some measure of relief after dealing with my incessant skepticism."I need you to keep an open mind and refrain from asking questions until I'm done, alright?"I nodded in agreement, eager to hear the rest of the story.Rukmi began, "In a bygone era, before this institute or palace existed, supernatural creatures roamed freely throughout the world—some good, some bad. There was a delicate balance of hunting and harmony. Treaties were formed between humans and creatures in certain places, while in others, they preyed upon one another. Humans hunted creatures for their powers and for selfish reasons, and creatures hunted humans for sustenance."The mention of "supernatural" shocked me, but I refrained from interrupting and listened intently."That woman you saw, Panna, was the epitome of beauty across the three worlds—Heaven, Earth, and Hell. However, she was not born into a high caste, and just before her twelfth birthday, her parents perished under mysterious circumstances. She never found their bodies, so the cause of their demise remained unclear. With the creatures on one side and the upper-caste people claiming to be saints on the other, she struggled to find enough to eat. She had a small hut outside the village, but it was burned down by some villagers. The women in the village envied her beauty, and the men coveted her exceptional swordsmanship. The people in the village could not bear to see her happy."

"Casteism," I thought to myself

"Casteism," I thought to myself. "It never seems to fade away, no matter how hard some people try. It's deeply rooted in the collective consciousness."Rukmi continued, "Panna eventually discovered a peaceful country called 'Raktharok,' where all creatures coexisted harmoniously. Despite the country's tranquility, external threats persisted. Panna found a place to stay and secured a job at the local swordsmith, thanks to her remarkable sword skills."Rukmi sounded so proud of panna.

"She excelled at her craft, infusing each sword with deadly precision. Now, you might be wondering why swords were necessary in such a peaceful place. While Raktharok enjoyed peace within its borders, there were still enemies outside. Unity made them strong, but they had to remain vigilant."

As Rukmi paced back and forth, it became evident that the story held a personal significance for her, as if she had witnessed it firsthand."Soon, Panna caught the attention of the royal guard. Gender did not determine eligibility to serve in the guard at the time. The head of the guard issued an order for her to be escorted to the palace. There, she met the head of the guard, who presented her with an opportunity: to join them and swear loyalty to the kingdom. In return, she would receive free housing and meals for as long as she lived. However, she would be forbidden from marrying while in the royal guard." A pause after this statement occurred in Rukmi's tale of pride. I was listening to her patiently. She gulped the saliva in her mouth and continued,

"Considering the life she had led thus far, marriage did not hold much appeal to Panna. The offer provided her with everything she desired—peace, shelter, sustenance, and her beloved sword. She felt as though she had been blessed with great fortune, expressing gratitude to her parents and the gods for this opportunity."

"It was as if someone had bestowed upon her an abundance of blessings," Rukmi continued. "Panna accepted the position in the guard and lived a life of fulfilment. She fought off demons and received a cooked meal and a warm bed after each clash. But, as they say, there is always light after darkness, and everything keeps changing and evolving.""Panna fell in love with a handsome man, Surya, from a wealthy family. They began meeting secretly, and Panna initially hesitated, knowing that marriage was prohibited. However, the man assured her that they could be together without the need for marriage. Overjoyed, she embraced this arrangement. They lived this way for two whole years..."Rukmi's narration was interrupted by someone in the palace, and she excused herself to attend to the matter. I urged her to continue the story, desperately wanting to know what transpired after those two years. I wondered why they had to meet secretly for so long, and if no one in the kingdom had discovered their relationship. However, she left without providing answers.