Chapter 17, Transient Recovery

The days I had weathered proved to be a mere prelude to the storm that lay ahead. Each new day brought with it the relentless agony of blackouts and self-doubt. The fine line between dream and reality blurred, leaving me entangled in a web of confusion, unable to discern truth from illusion. It felt as though the wind was swirling around me, yet I couldn't breathe its essence; the sun graced the sky, but its warmth eluded me. (Hard, so much so, I even contemplated going back to palace to get the answers. of course drunk and at night.)Seated in front of my window for days on end, silence became my only companion. My brothers, equally burdened by the pain that gripped our hearts, took turns feeding me. Their struggles, fights, tears, and, at times, silence became the ambient soundtrack of our shared ordeal. In the midst of this, I questioned my sanity. Was I losing my mind? Perhaps, that was the only plausible explanation. Even the branches of the tree outside my window assumed the role of confidants, as if the squirrels whispered secrets and the birds treated me as their cherished offspring.On a day like any other, our fathers decided it was time to leave Dehradun and return to Udaipur.(brothers told them everything) With little holding us in Dehradun, we unanimously agreed to move back. Harsh, torn between his affection for Aadhya and his concern for me, prioritized my well-being. With college transfers completed, the only task remaining was to pack our belongings and catch the next flight. Where it once took me two days to pack, this time, a mere two hours sufficed. Whether it signified efficiency or despair, I couldn't discern.During the packing process, items gifted by Adam resurrected memories I wished to bury. Casting those reminders into the bin, I promptly sought assistance to dispose of it outside the mansion. As we embarked on the journey to the airport, my gaze lingered on the road, futilely searching for someone my heart knew would never appear.Upon entering the airport, a glimmer of hope surfaced when I heard someone call my name. Disappointment quickly followed; it was not him but others from college bidding us farewell. Despite the college's awareness of our departure, our so-called best friends were also notably absent. I wasn't seeking an apology but, at the very least, an explanation for the inexplicable events that transpired. The habit of creating elaborate stories to cope with challenges had served as my coping mechanism, but now, it was time to relinquish that crutch. I had to cease making excuses for those who had shown little regard for my well-being.Amidst tearful farewells, we boarded the plane. The ascent induced nervous tremors; my eyes resisted opening, hands clenched, and words eluded me. Five hours later, we landed in udaipur and went straight to home, Harsh's favourite Aston Martin was waiting for us on the airport. We were greeted as if we had won Olympic gold. While familiar, this reception felt unusually burdensome. As we entered from the driveway into the palace, it was "My princess," my father uttered, his eyes brimming with tears and his voice choked with emotion. "How are you, my baby girl?, Heartbreaks and stuff happen no worries you are a royalty things are bound to happen. What is royalty without some mysteries... " He started saying things i have been running so hard from"I am doing well, Dad," I replied cutting him off with an indifferent expression,"" heading straight to my room.Help delivered my bags. I lacked the energy to unpack them. Perhaps, it was due to inadequate nourishment over the past few days. Exhausted, I succumbed to an extended period of sleep. Nani, upon entering my room to wake me for dinner, was met with a flood of tears. As she cradled my head in her lap, gently patting it, my entire family gathered to provide solace or, at the very least, to stem the tide of tears. Helpless in the moment, surrounded by worried family members, I couldn't contain my tears."Let it out, my baby," Nani whispered in a soothing voice. "Let it out; it will be better once you are done." That night, no one in the palace had dinner. Everyone at the palace loved us just too much, treated us three like their own children, anything happens to us, happens to them. I drifted into sleep, unaware of when exhaustion overcame me.As I woke up, my room was filled with every member of my family. My brothers flanked my bed, my father and uncle occupied chairs, and Nani's lap remained beneath my head. Aunts occupied the couch, and employees lingered near the gate. The entire household had slept around me, a poignant display of familial concern. Surprisingly, the restlessness that had plagued me in Dehradun seemed to dissipate. It wasn't their fault that I had chosen to venture into that wretched place.Seeking recovery, I attempted conversations and endeavoured to get better for those who held me in the highest regard. In the company of my family, I poured my heart out, the days became unexpectedly bearable, marked by new rays of sunshine. Enrolling in college and forging new friendships, even entering amidst a mid-semester, felt surprisingly warm, shielding us from the unwelcome drama and dark days. Yet, this period of reprieve was short-lived.Life, it seemed, was a play of shadows and sunlight. With my birthday approaching, the festivities and gatherings commenced, drawing attendees from every corner of the country eager to meet the sole princess of Udaipur. My impending 18th birthday promised newfound freedoms—driving and legal drinking—and the world appeared perfect within the narrow confines of my vision. Fortunately no blackouts in the last few months. However, how much could one truly see with just two eyes? The days I had already endured paled in comparison to the challenges yet to unfold.