The Titanomachy

In eons past, two mountains stood side by side, one in the shadow of the other's grandeur. A large fortress, wrought from black marble, encircled the taller of the two, from its peak to the base. At the summit stood a grand palace; braziers ringed the entrance, etched into the walls were warnings and runes inscribing the Ancient Magicks.

The other was far shorter and barren, its peak naught but snow and rock.To an outsider, this was a peaceful scene.

To those who lived there, it was not. The Titanomachy- the war between the Titans and Gods for control of Greece- had ripped through the land, and now was the beginning of the end.

As dawn broke, as the first rays of the sun blended into the night sky, the darkness was lit up, wreathed and burning with lightning as Zeus hurled the Master Bolt. A barrage of rocks that grew larger every second was thrown by the Hekentokharies, the Hundred-Handed Ones. The palace imploded, crumbling into itself. Earthquakes and avalanches, furious landslides, and waterspouts followed this ferocious assault as the Earthshaker, Stormbringer, Poseidon stood on the smaller mountain, his arms spread.

Waves of terror seeped into the rocks of Mount Othrys, spreading through it like a deadly poison, striking fear into the hearts of its inhabitants.

Kronos, Lord of the Titans, King of the Universe, and father of the Gods, although caught off guard, rallied his forces. Championed by the son of Iapetus and Clymene, Atlas, the Titan's armies met in battle with the Gods'.

The clash that ensued lasted for days, ensured by the fact that combatants on both sides were invincible. The only way to defeat a foe would be to permanently cripple them or to destroy their essence and return it to the pit.

But eventually, it did come to an end. On that fateful day, Zeus, with a single hit of the Master Bolt, sheared off the top of Mount Othrys, which, until that day, had been taller than Olympus.

What followed was a total collapse of the Titans' forces. First, it was the Four Brothers: Hyperion, Koios, Krios, and Iapetus. Oceanus, who had wisely stayed neutral was spared but was forced to flee to the depths of the sea as Poseidon became the new Lord of the Waters.

Then the six sisters were captured- the three sons of Kronos desired them as war spoils, which, along with either their neutrality or outright opposition to the Golden Age guaranteed their safety.

Then it was the mighty Atlas. It had taken the combined forces of the brothers to bring him down and so a punishment worthy of his power was fashioned. The Four Brothers had held the corners of the earth and had separated Gaea and Ouranos, for the sky always yearned to be with its partner. Now, it was Atlas' burden alone to lift the sky, to forevermore stand in one spot as the weight crashed down upon him.

Finally was Kronos. Zeus, out of pure maliciousness, dispatched his father the same way he had done to Ouranos. Then the newly christened King of the Gods took the millions of pieces and threw them down to the darkest, deepest parts of Tartarus to suffer with his brothers.