Prologue

PLAY THE MUSIC AND READ ALONG

PROLOUGE

I tire of my soul regressing to a shell. Every day brings nonstop regret and self-hatred. Why couldn't I do more to protect myself? Living with this curse is punishment for my lack of courage. My fear of fighting back. How could I have??! The thing wasn't human. I don't know what it was! How it soared in the air. How red its eyes were. The way it drank blood, as if it were a natural food source. Humans don't feed on each other! What was it? It seemed to be a boy, just as I am....but the motion of its limbs proved otherwise.   

The monster moved with the wind. It defied gravity. Broke the laws of physics! What was it???!! Why did it doom me with death???! My life source has faded to nothingness. My soul is a lifeless void. My heart is gone...it no longer operates! My eyes are colorless! My reflection has vanished! I should've fought for my life! I should've defended my mortal soul! Even if that meant dying...at least I'd actually be dead, and not a reanimated corpse existing solely for the blood of others. I wouldn't be a beast capable of brutal measures. A hellish monster that disregards the virtue of human life. 

The human spirit is a sacred blessing. I know this very well. The Cherokee tribe honors The Great Spirit. A supreme creator. A god which created life in all forms. The importance of human essence has been taught to me from as early as I can remember. I know how evil killing is. How it rips apart what the creator has given. The peaceful harmony of my kind god has been taken for granted. I've dishonored my own beliefs. I've disgraced and sickened the devoted god. I am no longer Cherokee due to the blood I've spilled. My hands are riddled red. I'm a disappointment. 

My family fears me...so does my tribe. My humanity grows lesser and lesser second by second. My taste for violence won't decrease. All seems to be hopeless. I seem to be trapped with this evil mark for all eternity. Or so I thought. Of course, magic is real in a world of vampires. Maybe this source could present a cure. A cure would offer an escape from this inferno. I need guidance back into the light. 

This girl, Kayla Harris, has a bright aura. I've never seen a human contain such a shine. White fire lives within her. I believe she is the path to heal my cold heart...and my broken eyes. I believe in her. Kayla is a Spell Bender, a sorceress of unlimited power. She will aid my redemption. My faith stands with her.  Even if all fails, I've prepared for that outcome. If there is no cure for vampirism, I'll accept that truth as long as I have her near me. The glow within her...the brightness of her soul, would be close enough to a cure.