Chapter 30: Decisions

KOTA

It's already difficult being around her as it is. Now this? I have to endure the halo edging around her body. The magnetic pull she has on my dead soul. The sound of her destabilizing voice...which unlocks every part of my being. Kayla reanimates my soul without knowing she does. The organ in my chest is so knotted...so rigid with compression.  

My imitation heart throbs. Palpitating at her command. I thought the fever she spelled me with was impossible to handle. The inner tornado is no longer the only curse she's given me. Now...Kayla has the capability to separate my skin with one touch. 

"I'm sorry." She's humiliated. 

Kota shakes his head. "Don't be...I'm sure you didn't mean to."

"I'm still learning." She uncomfortably peers to the side.

"My grandad says you're learning fast." Kota changes the subject to relieve his inner turmoil.

"I guess so...my training advanced from shadow breathing to wind exhalation."

"What's shadow breathing."

"I can't share that...it's top secret."

"I could use my mind game on you."

"That'll lead to a scuffle."

"How could I ever defend myself from your air?" He jokes.

"Just you wait...I'll magic you into another dimension."

"You can do that?"

"Sure can."

"I'll stay on your good side from now on..." He snickers.

"You better." Kay smirks and goes back to eating. Kota scoops up some of the chili. Hmmm...it smells delicious...but will it taste the same? He cautiously inserts the spoon into his mouth and chews. The flavors are absent...it's blander than bland. Flavorless as water. His tongue has no active receptors. But the scent is enough to trick his mind as if he has tastebuds. "What does it taste like?" Kayla mutters lowly. 

"Nothing." He mimics her whispering. "But it smells incredible."

"So strange."

"Yes...this is strange." Haley says as she approaches their table. "I don't understand why the new boy is so smitten with you when I'm here." Her pink squad stands behind her. They each sport leather jumpsuits with puffy handbags and sunglasses. "I have status...Kayla Harris doesn't...so talk to me." She sits on the ledge of the table facing Kota. "How about we go as a pair to the Golden Leaf dance?" The ice queen crosses her legs to demonstrate dominance.  

I don't like her at all. Kayla was right...she's rotten. She insults, then tries to get her way...and she's blocking my view of the true queen of the school. "No, thank you...I don't care for ugliness." He quotes what his mother said. 

"Ugh!" Haley scoffs, furrowing her forehead like an angry feline. "Do you know how many guys want to go with me?!" 

"I honestly don't care." He keeps the same dismissive tone.

Haley hates this. She screeches and stomps from the table. "Have fun being tagged a loser!"

Kota shakes his head at Kayla. "Ignore her...she's jealous of your talent...and that you have the new school toy at your disposal."

Kay stabs at the beans with her spoon. "Yeah....I know."

Aww, she's scarred by the mean queen's words. "Hey." He leans forward to console her. "You're the one who ruled the stage, not her. That's true status. Not high school popularity."