Chapter 1: Home

1983

Kota Ahoka, a toffee skinned boy with silky black hair, opens a locker. The hall is crowded with students. Some listen to cassettes while swapping books from their lockers, while others chat. The native boy grabs a workshop book and slams his locker. His long hair hangs past his sharp jaws, and his big brown eyes shine under the sunlight. He strides the noisy hall, groups of girls stare after him, starstruck. Many boys glare jealously. His flowy hair surfs the air. His sight is set on a door at the end of the hall. The mixed looks continue as he walks.

Kota grins. Should I say I can't help being cursed with beauty? Or will those words make the jocks jump me? He soaks up the attention.

A cute girl blocks his path before he can reach the door. "Hi, Kota." She smiles. "Do you have a date for the dance tonight?"

Kota attempts to respond, but another girl hustles over angrily. "Hey! I was going to ask him!" A tall girl comes along, bumping the other to the side. "Wanna go with me?"

"I asked first!" the other argues.

"Well, I'm asking now." The two face off like batty cats.

Ugh oh. I hope they  don't fight over me. I should put an end to this before it gets ugly. "I appreciate you two asking, but I'm going with my crew. Sorry." The teens' boiling expressions switch to dreamy awe. Kota's native accent is light and soothing, so much that it ends their spat.

"Oh..." The first one stares at his mouth in a daze.

"Maybe next time." He grins.

"Ok...next time." The tall one speaks serenely.

The bell rings. Everyone in the hallway scatter into classrooms like a swarm of bees. Kota makes it to the door. Two boys, Mike and Jimmy, wait there, shaking their heads. Mike is dark skinned with jerry curls. Jimmy is ginger haired with blue eyes. "Wow!" Jimmy exclaims. "You just keep turning down girls."

"Seven total, counting those two."

"We already planned to go together."

"So..." Mike scoffs. "You should ditch us for a babe."

"Whatever happened to loyalty?" Kota goes into a loud classroom.

"It doesn't apply here."

"Why not?"

"You already have a cheat code. Why not use it to land a chick?" Jimmy uses animated hand gestures to convey his confusion.

"I don't have a cheat code."

Mike laughs as the three take seats at workstations full of wood slabs. "Dude?"

"I'm serious. I don't know what you guys are talking about."

"Your voice...you lighten it to lure girls in. Just admit it." Jimmy squints. "You know they love it."

"No, I don't. For the last time, this is how I talk!" Kota stresses.

"Hmm mmm....right." Mike doubtfully eyes him.

"Good afternoon, class." The teacher closes the door and then walks to his desk. "Today, we're going to build a candle holder." The man uncovers a cloth to showcase a block of stained wood mounted by legs. It's shaped like a horseshoe. "This is the main subject; you all will be replicating. You have 35 minutes." The teacher winds up a clock on his desk; it ticks like a bomb. A clunking noise follows. All the students pick up the wood pieces before them.

Kota opens a drawer to unload the needed tools. A saw, drill, nails, hammer, and stainer. I still can't believe, after three months, these two think I fake my voice. If I deepen it, I'll sound like Darth Vader...not even a cool version of him. It's silly...I can't help how I sound. Making girls swoon isn't done on purpose. He saws the wood block into a shorter shape, since it isn't as defined as the teachers. He hears Mike and Jimmy chuckling while sawing. This distracts him, so he stops and looks their way. "Are you guys making fun of me?"