Chapter 29: New Boy

I can't believe I just used mind control! Just from thinking? I didn't know I could do this! Grandad did mention it before. Vampires have mind compulsion and can control every limb of a human... as if a puppet master. Those were his exact words...and that's exactly what happened! That was Darth Vader level of cool! Can vampires do more? Or is compulsion the only power? 

Odina slowly lowers back into her seat, still dumbfounded over what just occurred. "When will he begin?" Mr. Hamilton doesn't react to her words; he's zeroed in on Kota as if he's the only one in the room. "Ask him." She assumes he'll only answer Kota. 

"When do I start classes? Can it be today?" He asks the last question eagerly. 

"Today...yes." The principal obeys his eagerness as if a command. 

"But I have no supplies..." 

"Don't worry, our student store has backpacks and class supplies available. I'll have a word with my secretary about a wavier for the fees and to print your program as soon as possible." He stands from the desk, still with an odd motion of his body. His legs go forward with too much emphasis on the motion. Deliberately walking on instruction more than an average human would.

When he's out the door, Odina gawks at Kota. "I didn't know you could do that?!"

"Me either!"

"Although that was wrong...but due to certain circumstances, I will let it slide."

"That's so modern of you, mom." Kota smiles.

"I can be cool sometimes...or radical." Odina winks. "I know the new slang."

"Very radical of you."

Odina leans closer to him. "So...when will you ask her out?"

"Ummm...I don't know."

"Act fast, that's my advice."

"What if I rush her by asking so soon?"

"Hmm...maybe you're right. These new age girls are more rational than I was."

"I'll play it safe and wait."

"That's a good strategy."

The office door opens, only it's not the principal, it's his secretary. "Come, Mr. Ahoka, I'll assist you with admission." He's used to bewildered looks from humans, so hers doesn't bother him. Kota sticks out like a sore thumb everywhere he goes. He's used to the peculiar glances. On the way through the main office, many of the desk workers nearly break their necks to get a good look at his unusual appearance. This isn't the worst part...wait until I mingle with the students.

"Don't use your brain trick on her." Odina mummers, referring to the assistant.

"I won't."

The admission area is within a lab room full of humpback computers. "Have a seat." Kota does so. "The classes on the screen are the ones available. You're in need of 1 of each." The lady points to the category sections. "English, Art. Language. Science. History. Tech, and Math. Please take your time. You must be close friends with the principal. I wouldn't want to rush such a special acquaintance." Her snide remark isn't missed. The bitterness is barely hidden. I guess she thinks I'm part of some nepotism. Or that my mom and the principal are a thing. If only I could read minds to know which one it is.

"Thank you, Miss Secretary." Odina shuts her down with an overly polite tone, killing her with kindness. The woman taps away, rolling her eyes. His mother takes a seat beside him. "Such great hospitality."

"I think she's onto us." Kota cracks.

"I'll allow you to play with her mind."

"Mom?!"