Chapter 9: Truth

"Bly...listen." Matto begins. 

"Your son is a killer!"

"Please let me explain." 

"There's nothing to explain!! Jacy saw the slaughter outside his shop. Kota is evil!"

"My son isn't evil!"

"Tell that to the chief!" Bly presses a button on a CB radio clipped to his belt. "Hey, Chief, you're needed at the Pow-wow. It's the Ahoka kid."

The radio gives off static before the commander replies, "are Jacy allegations true?" A bassy voice asks.

"Yes." There's a long pause. Everyone surveys Kota for the beast he is. Rage and anger consume the crowd. Children gawk at him as if a boogeyman brought to life.

"Clear the park." The chief orders from the radio.

"Everyone disperse." Bly instructs. "Escort the audience to the street." He tells the other officers. The crew approach the guests, hand gesturing to the street. The crowd follows the instructions, murmuring as they depart. The cops form a line behind the guests, guiding them to the street.

"Contain the Ahoka family, I'll arrive shortly."

"Will do." Bly scans the area. "Where's Dyani?"

Odina searches the crowd like a hawk. "Dyani?!!" She surveys the street twice before locating her daughter. Dy watches from the street with the rest of the party. She's baffled and scared. Her mother offers her hand. "Come, please." Dy debates staying with the crowd or standing with her family. The struggle is evident in her shifting eyes.

Kota gives a begging glance, one only a little brother in need could give. He's helpless for her support. "Please. Dyani." His voice trembles.

Her lips quiver, she glimpses at the audience, mortified by their judgmental glares. Dread and embarrassment taint her eyes. Matto holds his hand out. "Kamama (butterfly)." He speaks warmly. "Come."

Dy exhales and lowers her head in shame. She treads over, taking her father's hand. Ignoring Kota. Why is she being so heartless?? I told her the truth. I don't want to be this way. How can she abandon me when I need her most??! I need my family. I won't survive this life without unity. Kota's heart drops, he stares at his big sister, wounded.

It doesn't take the chief long to arrive. Chief Ridge, a tall, broad man, dismounts a Jeep. He's dressed in a brown officer uniform. The mountains of Tahlequah design the sigil on both his badge and uniform. The street is still occupied by citizens. Ridge huffs and does shooing motions with his hands. "Clear the premises, goodnight!" His tone is absolute.

The town's folk shuffle away, leaving the street to the sidewalks. Ridge watches them pace the pavements. Some turn the corner, while others enter their homes. The chief doesn't glance away until all are out of sight. He gives a hard look to the Ahoka family, his green eyes linger on Kota, astonished by his appearance. "How can you become this?! I've known you since the bassinet. How can you kill so gruesomely???"

"My son was attacked by a creature!" Matto steams. "He didn't choose to kill!"

"A creature?" Ridge steps forward, his wonder gets the best of him.

"A blood demon."

"Blood demon??!!" Bly exclaims.

"Impossible, there hasn't been an encounter in centuries." Ridge is skeptical.

"I'm telling the truth! It was alone, it passed through Tahlequah. The three teens in the woods were its victims...so was Kota."

"Or your son interfered with dark magic and now suffers the consequences! He's already killed an innocent family. He's done the same with the teenagers!"